diy solar

diy solar

Buy Batteries by 2025 if you live in the Mid-Atlantic area

“…the grid will likely suffer a severe voltage collapse in Baltimore and the surrounding zones, including Northern Virginia, the District of Columbia, Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania.[1] Such a result could be potentially catastrophic.”

I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

FERC, or at least the one politically appointed member of FERC that was mentioned, didn't say that, they just affirmed that was what they were told.
It is my understanding that FERC staff reviews the information filed, and determines whether FERC agrees with the filing (approves) or not (denies or sends back for re-work). I don't see FERC as a rubber stamp agency.

Voltage collapse isn't a simple supply demand overload, those result in frequency drop and the inertia in the system (unless it's made of inverters lol) gives them time to load shed.

Voltage collapse happens fast and is hard to react to. 2003 had voltage collapse components.

The weak grid will need syncons again like the old days thanks to all the inverters.

A major U.S. power grid operator is warning that the upcoming closure of a Baltimore area coal plant threatens to decrease key electricity supplies across the mid-Atlantic region. | Fox Business

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...-coal-plant-shutdown-threatens-power-millions
Wow. Sucks to be those folks.
Guess they will be buying coal fired electricity from other states but they won’t have any themselves.

Seems kinda silly to shut down a station without something ready to go online to takes its place.

It is my understanding that FERC staff reviews the information filed, and determines whether FERC agrees with the filing (approves) or not (denies or sends back for re-work). I don't see FERC as a rubber stamp agency.

I didn't say the FERC was a rubber stamp agency. The article says that "FERC Commissioner Mark Christie said on Nov. 8 that, without proper upgrades, the shutdown could cause ...", but the report that I linked to from Mark Christie clearly states that he did not say that, but was just repeating what he was told: "PJM has told us that if we fail to approve those transmission projects in this RTEP driven by the closure of the Brandon Shores coal generating unit located in Maryland, the grid will likely suffer a severe voltage collapse"

IMO, that's blatant misrepresentation.

Will it cause power issues? I don't know, but I seriously doubt it, considering all that's in the DC area, but misstating the facts is not the right way to inform the public.

Will not happen.
I also don't see it happening.
If there is one thing that Politicians are scared of it is Voters that are not comfortable in their own homes.
It's motivates people to get out and vote against you no matter who is at fault.

Electric regulation used to be my gig. Blackouts, rolling or otherwise, are infinitely preferable to grid collapse. Grid operators know this. ERCOT shut down areas during the big freeze. Huge political fallout. But absolutely the right move. They did it with less than 60 seconds to spare (from memory). Otherwise cold start the state of Texas. Would have taken a while.

There are concrete plans in place to shed load.

Texas winter storm was a frequency event. Different and more manageable than a voltage collapse. That's why regulators won't let this go through until the transmission is built.

I still don't get how everything has to trip at 59. Why can't we allow 57 for a bit. Maybe the turbines just can't be designed for variable RPMs.

I got load shedded twice in 2020 in California. 7pm in the summer when all the solar shuts down at sunset.

I didn't say the FERC was a rubber stamp agency. The article says that "FERC Commissioner Mark Christie said on Nov. 8 that, without proper upgrades, the shutdown could cause ...", but the report that I linked to from Mark Christie clearly states that he did not say that, but was just repeating what he was told: "PJM has told us that if we fail to approve those transmission projects in this RTEP driven by the closure of the Brandon Shores coal generating unit located in Maryland, the grid will likely suffer a severe voltage collapse"

IMO, that's blatant misrepresentation.

Will it cause power issues? I don't know, but I seriously doubt it, considering all that's in the DC area, but misstating the facts is not the right way to inform the public.
In order for FERC to approve the emergency request, staff would have reviewed and concurred that there is an urgent enough situation to justify bypassing the normal process. Not just the commissioners saying "PJM says so".

By quoting just the commissioner implies that no independent review was done. FERC approving the request implies that Staff would have to had reached an initial conclusion that the situation is urgent. Whether staff concurance rises to the level of "grid collapse" is not stated. Maybe likely frequent load shedding events was enough to justify.

Wow. Sucks to be those folks.
Guess they will be buying coal fired electricity from other states but they won’t have any themselves.

Seems kinda silly to shut down a station without something ready to go online to takes its place.
That's how the stupid run things. And things are being run by stupid.

Or it is intentional wrecking of things. Which after watxhing the last 3 years I think it is quite obvious those in charge have some drive to wreck stuff.

I still don't get how everything has to trip at 59. Why can't we allow 57 for a bit. Maybe the turbines just can't be designed for variable RPMs.

I got load shedded twice in 2020 in California. 7pm in the summer when all the solar shuts down at sunset.
My guess is that low (or high) frequency is a sign of grid instability, and you want to take generators off line to protect them. If they can't manage a 1% divergence, what assurance is there that they can manage an even smaller divergence with all generation at max (and only producing 59hz).

You could design a system to run at 57 hz, but it would need reserve capacity at 57 hz. When the grid reaches 59.4 hz, it means there is no reserve capacity left. If not corrected within 9 minutes, then it implies there is no way to protect the grid from a collapse, so the generators go off line (or isolate to a stable local grid) to protect generation. Black start is easier than rebuilding burnt out generators.

Small grids with only a few large industrial loads can operate at lower frequency with no reserve. The users then moderate their usage to avoid overloading the grid.

Back