diy solar

diy solar

buying used panels.

Solar Wizard
i have the opportunity to purchase 400watt znshine bifacials zxm6-nhldd144-410/m panels for $100 each and I will be testing the volts and amps but is there anything else to look for in buying used panels? for example, for insurance purposes do all solar related items need to be ul listed?

Usually, it should be on the data plate. Make sure the numbers on the data plate jive with what they're being advertised as well.
thanks. now the seller tells me they were resealed with a resin coating? what?? is this normal? they were manufactured in 2015. at this point im thinking maybe I shouldnt take the risk on used panels?

$400w panels for $100ea is a tough deal to beat. Is this going to be for a critical or grid tied system? If not, they're worth the risk if you're getting to plug into them with a meter and verify. Just buy a couple spares.

OR

You could buy a dozen, send them to me, and I'll let you know if they hold up or not. :LOL:

thanks. now the seller tells me they were resealed with a resin coating? what?? is this normal? they were manufactured in 2015. at this point im thinking maybe I shouldnt take the risk on used panels?
Are they anywhere close to PA? I'll buy a bunch to test for you.

$400w panels for $100ea is a tough deal to beat. Is this going to be for a critical or grid tied system? If not, they're worth the risk if you're getting to plug into them with a meter and verify. Just buy a couple spares.

OR

You could buy a dozen, send them to me, and I'll let you know if they hold up or not. :LOL:
Ideally I want to do a grid parallel system with no export.

So it sounds like it's a fair price?

Sounds like they cracked, I see bi facials in my area where the back side is not tempered (seems to be typical for back glass) and when it cracks someone goes in and seals the back side and then sells them. I'm not excited about that even at a reduced price point, I don't think $100 is cheap enough as in my opinion whatever sealant they put on could be done in a couple years and allow moisture in which'll kill that panel.

Sounds like they cracked, I see bi facials in my area where the back side is not tempered (seems to be typical for back glass) and when it cracks someone goes in and seals the back side and then sells them. I'm not excited about that even at a reduced price point, I don't think $100 is cheap enough as in my opinion whatever sealant they put on could be done in a couple years and allow moisture in which'll kill that panel.
Thanks for that. The seller said the front face was sealed. Which would be even worse. I think I'll pass. New panels after the tax credit can be had for as little as $160

Thanks for that. The seller said the front face was sealed. Which would be even worse. I think I'll pass. New panels after the tax credit can be had for as little as $160
Was that the guy out in east Texas near Quinlan? Not many people resell panels that were shattered/cracked on the front side. And yeah it seems, according to my interpretation, any panel that hasn't been installed should qualify for the tax credit. It appears what they want to avoid is the same panel being used for the tax credit multiple times.

Back