diy solar

diy solar

Byd 24v paralleling cells of my packs. How to...

Newenough

I have 10 of these packs and would like to parallel the cells together to mitigate the cell drift they experience at the top end of charging. David Poz did a video on how to do it with these packs but did not show the cells in detail. Any help on which cells to connect together would be great. Here are picked of the battery and a link to his video if helpful.
Poz video
IMG_20200906_123550.jpgIMG_20200906_123537.jpg

Do you mean the cells or do you mean the packs? Cutting those buss bars is going to be a challenge.
How about some background. How is that pack configured. I count eight cells in series, correct? What is your end goal?

The cells. The packs are 24v, as is my system. In the past, I have bottom balanced by connecting all positive and negative together, equalizing the cells. As others have done, I want to connect all the cells together to maintain balance. I'm just not sure where I need to connect these wires on the cells....

Last edited:
To clarify, you have paralleled the packs and discharged each pack.There may still be a a cell within a pack that has less capacity. There is no way you can effectively balance a pack that is spot welded together except with an active balancer or charging or discharging each cell manually.. What Dave Poz has done is identify the positive and negative and then created a matrix that has masked the imbalance issue. He has not solved the problem. The pack capacity will be limited by the weak cell(s).
What I would do would be to identify which packs are having impalance issues and then within the pack identify which cells are weak. Manually balance those cells at the top and live with the lower pack capacity by setting your lower pack discharge voltage appropriately. Sorry, I can't offer a simpler solution.

The only issues I see are the connection issues and the occasional imbalance between the two 24 volt packs. Your strategy of moving them for storage may offer an opportunity to balance the two 24 volt packs by paralleling them while in storage.
Use good well crimped cables and oversize them to reduce the resistance between packs and that issue can be mitigated. It will be resolved anyway, each time you parallel the packs. It sounds like a viable plan.

These packs are new (to me...) And I have been doing the required testing on each (a few so far). I saw this gentlemen's post/ video (different video than above) and want to investigate it further.

Back