diy solar

diy solar

Can I run my whole home off 1 EG4?

Gridlessness

So I purchased a EG46500ex just before they released the 6000 so I only have 120vac output capabilities at this time. The 6500 watt output of the single inverter is more than adequate for my whole home because all my major appliances run off of propane so my only large load would be an electric dryer which I wouldn't run during an outage anyways. I'm hooked up to the grid and I only want battery backup for the short period outages when they occure. My question is, how do I supply the 120v output to my whole panel to run the whole house? I'd be surprised if I every hit anywhere close to 6500 watts during an outage so the one inverter should be adequate. Do I need to buy the updated inverter for 240v output, buy a second 6500 to run in parallel to get the 240v, or can I get by with just the one inverter I have now? $1500 for the updated inverter is not a terrible price but it's a lot of money right not considering all the debt I just paid off from my savings.

There are several methods depending on what you wish to accomplish and need to power. Some folks power a critical load panel and move those loads from the main panel so that they are fed through the AIO. Some will put a transfer switch ahead of the main panel, or main panel lockout breaker mechanisms, and power the main from the AIO this way like you would from a generator. Some transfer switches will allow you to just power selected loads by switching each one from grid to alternative source.

If you do not need 240vAC there are ways to wire panels to just be 120vAC.

You sorta need to decide which way you want to go* but you can not back feed your main panel without some means to prevent feeding the grid from an Off grid AIO.

* And what the local electrical enforcement folks allow.

Back