diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a common ground?

NorthTown2022

I've got a Phoenix 48/1200VA inverter with Nema 5-15R receptacle. It will be used for an off-grid stand alone application. Since there is no NG bond in the system I believe I should switch the jumper over to FJ2 and connect the chassis to an earth/ground rod.. right?

Is it okay to share a common ground with my grid tied home AC electrical panel in this situation?

Also, is best practice a separate ground rod for the DC side?

The manual states:

1702217108717.png

I've got a Phoenix 48/1200VA inverter with Nema 5-15R receptacle. It will be used for an off-grid stand alone application. Since there is no NG bond in the system I believe I should switch the jumper over to FJ2 and connect the chassis to an earth/ground rod.. right?

Yes.

Is it okay to share a common ground with my grid tied home AC electrical panel in this situation?

Yes

Also, is best practice a separate ground rod for the DC side?

No. In a given structure, all grounding items (ground rods, water pipes, whatever) need to be bonded.

Hi
Related question: does this mean that the battery negative has to be connected to ground
and through the house main panel end up connected to inverter neutral?
My inverter manual tells me not to ground the PV negative, but I can find nothing about the battery negative.
Thank you

Bump.

I’m also trying to research whether to connect the battery negative to the single ground rod in my off grid system.

Bump.

I’m also trying to research whether to connect the battery negative to the single ground rod in my off grid system.
Do you want the possibility that your batteries short to their case/rack/structure and that you get that shock when you touch them? If you do not want to be shocked by a short then yes, ground them and their holding/carrying apparatus/structure.

Equipment grounding is about being able to safely touch and work on the equipment.

Back