diy solar

diy solar

Can my 3kw predator inverter generator be a back-up charger for the new EG4 wall mount batteries?

Branch Ranch

I currently own a gas powered 3kw Predator generator (120v 25a output) and am thinking of getting 1 EG4 6000xp inverter and 1 EG4 indoor wallmount battery for my small off grid cabin. Battery manual says recommended charging amps should be 60-160amps. Will this inverter allow this generator to charge this battery when solar is insufficient?

So, with this set up i would need a generator with 240v output @ at least 60 amps? Thats over 14kw!
You would need a 240V generator. Doesn't necessarily have to be 60A, you can reduce DC charge current to not overload the generator.
Some inverters don't like generator power.
Another option would be to use your current generator with a DC charger to charge batteries directly, then you wouldn't need run the XP in pass through to charge the batteries.

You would need a 240V generator. Doesn't necessarily have to be 60A, you can reduce DC charge current to not overload the generator.
Some inverters don't like generator power.
Another option would be to use your current generator with a DC charger to charge batteries directly, then you wouldn't need run the XP in pass through to charge the batteries.
So, my current generator with an EG4 chargeverter would work?

If you get the 120V optional cable.

You could ALSO get another predator, and a link kit for 240V output, they are on sale this weekend for spring Black Friday…

You could ALSO get another predator, and a link kit for 240V output, they are on sale this weekend for spring Black Friday…

I'll look into it. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I'm already about to drop some $$$ so that might have to wait!

So, my current generator with an EG4 chargeverter would work?

Using a DC charger on the single generator's output would be the cheapest option, you may already have one or get one for less than $100. Not a Chargeverter. Something that just takes 12A @ 120V AC = 1.4kW and converts that to up to 20A @ 58.4V DC.

But it would be more efficient to use either another 240V generator or a 2nd predator in parallel, so that you can go in pass-through mode. That way the generator's AC does not get converted to DC and back to AC by the inverter.

You could charge the batteries rather slowly during low pv (maybe just 10A) and use all the generator to power your loads in pass-through.

Back