diy solar

diy solar

Can't reset BMS

chrisgraham

I recently buyed yed one of LiFePo4 batteries (12V 100ah).

After I added a set of M8-Adapter , I connected the batteries with my charging booster (Voltronic VBCS 30/20/250 Triple) inside my camping van.

Unfortunately I forget to deactivate the "pulser" first time, which is helpful for AGM-batteries.

The first time I realized my mistake was, when I turned of the charger. The voltage immediately dropped from 14,6V to 1,0V.

So I disabled the "pulser" function an set the voltage to 14,2V, like recommended in the manual (reset BMS in case of high voltage)

But unfortunately this doesn't seems to work. I also tried lower and higher voltage parameters (13,9/14,4/14,6V), but nothing worked.
I also notice, that the charging voltage jumps between 13,3V and 14,2V, even when the setting is set to 14,2V???

Do you have any tip/ advice for me, how I can reset the BMS?

Kind regards,
Chrisgraham

Do you have any tip/ advice for me, how I can reset the BMS?
The battery is in protection mode.
Try,
Disconnect from the charger and apply a DC load greater than 2 amps.
Else,
Connect to a 12v source , car battery or power supply. ( not a charger, many chargers will not function unless they 'see' a voltage from the battery).

There are 4 options in the Votronics charger for lithium batteries, 13.9 to 14.6 charge volts, try setting '6' with a 14.2 charge voltage.
The preset settings are far from ideal with lower charge current down to -20C, you battery needs low temperature charge protection built in.

My SOK BMS will not reset with a load. And it needs 14.8V to wake it up. Giant PITA finding 14.8A for a mobile application. Solar: nope. Inverter/charger: nope. Any battery charger: nope. DC-DC from tow vehicle: nope. I have to use an adjustable bench power supply. I just made a battery pack with a buck converter set to 15V that I use to wake them up.

Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 07.38.21.png

My SOK BMS will not reset with a load. And it needs 14.8V to wake it up. Giant PITA finding 14.8A for a mobile application. Solar: nope. Inverter/charger: nope. Any battery charger: nope. DC-DC from tow vehicle: nope. I have to use an adjustable bench power supply. I just made a battery pack with a buck converter set to 15V that I use to wake them up.

View attachment 211039

Solar can work for you to wake it up if you have the right solar controller.

For instance, a Bogart engineering PWM solar charge controller will do it.

If you don't want to use a solar charge controller, try just attaching a small solar panel directly to the system ( through a fuse ). The voltage will rise through the needed voltage on it's way up.

Back