diy solar

diy solar

Chargery: AH measurements

If you do not need to know the exact state of charge of your battery the Chargery will work fine. It will still provide all the protection you need as far as temperature, cell under/over voltage and pack under/over voltage. It also has a display that will show you the voltage of each cell in the pack. There have been issues in the past with some of the 16T and 24T units reading the voltage of 1 or 2 cells improperly. This can be fixed but as of now it requires the unit being sent back to Chargery for re-calibration. This does cost someone money. I would ask the question to whoever you buy it from "If the calibration is off how will it get fixed and who will pay for the costs?" If you do this I'm willing to bet all suppliers will agree to pay for the fix or even better make sure the unit you get is accurate. . Just do it before hand so they don't try and make you pay if something goes wrong. Also these things are sensitive equipment and no wire should be plugged into a Chargery unless its other end is attached to where it is supposed to be attached to. I personally have smoked 2 units due to my stupidity and allowing loose wires to touch the battery main positive.

Why would anyone purchase a Chargery BMS now? Didn't Jason say they are designing a new BMS with a 16-bit ADC? I'm sure it will measure currents as they transition through +/- 1A.

He also mentioned it will have active balancing. I wouldn't be too thrilled with that feature. It's high cost for low efficiency (50%?). I think passive balancing is adequate.

I wouldn't call Chargery's listening impressive. They got caught doing a shitty design. Nothing commendable here. We expect to get current measurements between plus and minus 300A. The full scale. But now we find out they ignore an important section of the scale. They can't fix it. They can make it slightly better but that's it. Did I mention it's a bad design?

I wouldn't call Chargery's listening impressive. They got caught doing a shitty design. Nothing commendable here. We expect to get current measurements between plus and minus 300A. The full scale. But now we find out they ignore an important section of the scale. They can't fix it. They can make it slightly better but that's it. Did I mention it's a bad design?
Calling it a shitty design is not okay.
It can first of all, protect my pack wich is is the most important part.
Ofcourse it would be nice if it kept track of your SOC a bit better, but here you have 2 options. Pay up, or help develop better solutions.
If you have no proposals wich are constructive, then.... please find others or wait up.
I would love to see you suggest a better BMS for high current applications.
Waiting?

The Next Generation of Chargery BMS with Active Balancing is coming. the PCB's have been designed and layouts are being tested / evaluated now prior to sending to manufacture. CONSTRUCTIVE Criticisms have been heard, evaluated & being implemented as appropriate. These likely will not be available until early 2021

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is always welcome. That usually means identifying an issue, problem or something that can be improved and OFFERING Suggestions which are practical & applicable. Sadly, far too many people have forgotten how to be positive or constructive. Too many "Complainers at Large" out there and they just cannot let go and move onto other things.

The Next Generation of Chargery BMS with Active Balancing is coming. the PCB's have been designed and layouts are being tested / evaluated now prior to sending to manufacture. CONSTRUCTIVE Criticisms have been heard, evaluated & being implemented as appropriate. These likely will not be available until early 2021

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM is always welcome. That usually means identifying an issue, problem or something that can be improved and OFFERING Suggestions which are practical & applicable. Sadly, far too many people have forgotten how to be positive or constructive. Too many "Complainers at Large" out there and they just cannot let go and move onto other things.
We are sorry, if our tone didn't sound constructive.

We love what chargery is doing. If the SoC is very accurate and active balancing is worked on, I see it becoming the best BMS ever. Already, it's ahead of others.

Calling it a shitty design is not okay.
It can first of all, protect my pack wich is is the most important part.
Ofcourse it would be nice if it kept track of your SOC a bit better, but here you have 2 options. Pay up, or help develop better solutions.
If you have no proposals wich are constructive, then.... please find others or wait up.
I would love to see you suggest a better BMS for high current applications.
Waiting?

You need to wait no longer.

Not going to give you my resume, but I’ve walked the walk. Absolutely, I have the right to call it a shitty design. I’m sure many designers would likewise call it shitty (if not worse).

And I already provided a better design. Look it up, diy coulomb counter.

Oh gosh I long for the 1960's and 70's when people still looked for solutions to problems.

My parents didn't get along for a spell. I asked my mom why they didn't divorce. She said she grew up in an era when if something broke you fixed it, not throw it away.
Always remembered that. :)

Not going to give you my resume, but I’ve walked the walk. Absolutely, I have the right to call it a shitty design. I’m sure many designers would likewise call it shitty (if not worse).

So how do you deal with cell protection?

I am all for DIY stuff obviously this is a DIY forum. And I am sure the diy columb counter works well. Just building the thing is above my not so pointed head. But for those who understand op amps and ADCs. Go for it.

Where exactly is this better designed coulomb counter you have made? I am looking for one myself.

So how do you deal with cell protection?
Currently on vacation, but cell protection will come. That should be the simpler portion of the design.

Sherylin- use search to locate diy coulomb counter.

It's here,

Would a selectable BMW be possible? Ex.
One head unit to monitor 5 16s batt packs.

Would a selectable BMW be possible? Ex.
One head unit to monitor 5 16s batt packs.
You are asking about a Slave Master BMS system. Rec-BMS, Orion, A123 and a few other "Premium" types exist that do such but now your getting deep into the wallet.

You are asking about a Slave Master BMS system. Rec-BMS, Orion, A123 and a few other "Premium" types exist that do such but now your getting deep into the wallet.
I looked into some of those master/slave BMSs and thought if I was going to spend that much, I might as well buy a battery already put together.
But then I checked the price of fancy batteries and WOW! are they expensive. I'm still going the $200 BMS route.
Someday hackers on this site will make it possible for cheap.
The info about those expensive BMSs is obviously meant for large business not DIY

I have never used the shunt.
Came across this researching to understand more about Chargery's SOC readings ... & Wow, Did Not Know leaving the shunt out of a Chargery Setup was an option. You Never used that Chargery Shunt? What are the draw backs? I imagine you still have all the low cell v, high cellv , and high amp charge or discharge, and diff, and temp etc. protects, but no SOC or Amp In and Out meter via Chargery lcd ??? Did you wire up something else that might be better for reading SOC at a glance. Any further info. welcome :+)

I looked into some of those master/slave BMSs and thought if I was going to spend that much, I might as well buy a battery already put together.
But then I checked the price of fancy batteries and WOW! are they expensive. I'm still going the $200 BMS route.
Someday hackers on this site will make it possible for cheap.
The info about those expensive BMSs is obviously meant for large business not DIY
Not sure what you need. But have you considered Overkill BMS?
Just an idea.

Back