diy solar

diy solar

Chargeverter hook up question.

rfbuehler

I’m building an off grid setup.

I have a generator that will fire up on a contact closure (2 wire start)

I have 12 Lifepower4 batteries in two banks 60Kwh of battery.

I have a Chargeverter that I’ll be hooking up.

Can I leave it connected to the battery bank permanently so on low SOC, I’ll fire up the genset which in turn will power the Chargeverter,
I plan on an 80A charge. My solar provides me with a 200A charge on sunny days.

I have the ability to put a contactor on the battery bank side so with my Plc I can start Gen, run till stable then close dc, then close ac and reverse the steps to power off stop the ac open the dc the stop the genset.

Any thoughts or can I just leave it connected to the dc side.

Thanks.

I leave my DC breaker connected and switch the AC grid on/off triggered by either low bat voltage or time of day for OFF PEAK

This has the benefit of eliminating the huge spike when you flip the breaker on the CV. There is a small leech keeping the cap charged.

My DC side is always connected and on.
AC side is controlled automatically as needed.
I’m starting to think about doing this using the generator start contacts on my inverter, to enable the grid input when my battery gets sufficiently low. What would be an appropriate solid state relay or contactor to switch the AC input of the ChargeVerter with?

I’m starting to think about doing this using the generator start contacts on my inverter, to enable the grid input when my battery gets sufficiently low. What would be an appropriate solid state relay or contactor to switch the AC input of the ChargeVerter with?

I tried the cheap ($20) amazon ones, then one fried itself

researched and found this

FOR Crydom D2475-10 Solid-state relay​

yes, expensive

Although it is fine to leave DC connected with a single battery I'm planning to be charging different voltage batteries with the same chargeverter. So I'm planning to use these to switch the DC side (my chargeverter psu has pretty good OCP).
Screenshot_20240511_010509_Allegro.jpg

I'm planning to be charging different voltage batteries with the same chargeverter.
It's only designed for 48v batteries.
It can be set from 43v to 57v.
What voltage are your other batteries?

It's only designed for 48v batteries.
It can be set from 43v to 57v.
What voltage are your other batteries?
24V and 48V (8s and 16s lifepo4)

I should've clarified, I'm talking about a DIY chargeverter made of two of these: https://www.used4telecom.nl/product/ascom-power-supply-converter-smps-48v-1900w/

The spec is 40-60V(in reality CV is 36-60V), but in CC mode it goes as low as you want. I plan voltage monitoring and when the 24V battery reaches 27.6V (3.45v per cell) it'll be switched off.

Back