diy solar

diy solar

circuit breaker needed for single solar panel with LV2424?

thesturdivants

howdy all! i have a mpp solar lv 2424 and a single canadian solar cs6r-390ms-hl. the manual says i need a circuit breaker from the panel to the unit but i was wondering if due to the fact that my one panel is FAR from ever coming close to max capacity, can i just wire it directly in, without the dc circuit breaker?

the panel is rated
  • STC Power Rating 390W
  • PTC Power Rating 367W
  • Imp 12.84A
  • Vmp 30.4V
  • Isc 13.7A
  • Voc 36.4V

and the lv2424 supports 2400W, 80A, and 115V

thanks!

welp i found a 40a single pole dc breaker i had laying around and put it on the + line... idk!
Well, while not explicitly necessary in your usage case, it does make maintenance easier if you have an issue with the solar panel or system in general. In terms of safety, it is a plus. If you were to have a short between the panel and your LV 2424, you would have to physically be close to the inverter and turn it off. But then, even if the inverter is off, the MPPT function is still alive until the wire overheats and hopefully burns up outside away from any structures.

So, the breaker is a plus even if you have only one panel. But, with only one panel, how are you able to recharge your battery? And what size is your battery, I wonder?

I used to use an LV2424, but the power consumption is horrible so I upgraded to a Victron Multiplus II 24V 3000 inverter and love it. Anyways, good luck!!

Back