diy solar

diy solar

Companies with excellent customer service?

PaulLad

The more I read about both technical and customer service issues, the more worried I get about spending another $4k on a solar generator. Seems like all the big names like Bluetti, Delta, etc. have terrible service. I already spent $2k on two bluetti EB240 systems 2 years ago and neither work right now and customer service is being very difficult.

I'd prefer to spend an extra 20% to find a company that has excellent customer service and can be trusted to do what they promise as far as their warranty & service. Is there such a company?

I was going to recommend you to build your own solar generator (search YouTube for DIY solar generator on hand truck). Anyway, I used my Bluetti AC200MAX (fed by solar panels on both inputs) for a year running a mini-split without any issue and at the same time, I returned three Bluetti EB3A for overloading (for no reason) with only a 30-watt light bulb load. I don't know what to tell you about customer service. It comes down to how lucky you get when asking for support. Don't feel bad, I spent $14K on EG4 equipment and got no support from Signature Solar.

Maybe put together your own component system from NAZ Solar and/or Current Connected?
Don't forget altE solar, especially if you're on the east cost.
I wouldn't mess with one of pre-built units after putting together a small 1500w boards build a couple years ago.
You could make a really nice system with components from CC, NAZ, and Alte...

Haven't built one yet, but once again another voice to recommend building your own. A prebuilt is fine and all until it fails. I have not heard of one of these pre-built solar generators that rises above the pack in terms of function and customer service/warranty.

A tip for warranties: Sometimes it seems like the company is trying to make life difficult for you and doesn't want to honor their warranty. It might be the case. But IMO, it's often a symptom of being a large enough company that some people will try to "stick it to the man" and try to rip-off the company with false warranty claims. Meaning, it might be a PITA to try to get repair/replacement, but if you keep at it and don't give up, the company will often pull through once they realize your claim is valid.

I HATE these kinds of warranty practices. Which is why I buy products and COMPLETELY ignore the warranty. 6 month warranty? I don't care. 25 year warranty? Same as 24 hour warranty or less, in my book. I buy products that have a good reputation for LASTING and the company has a GOOD to EXCELLENT reputation. If they are new (less than 10 years) or are selling primarily on low price, then I skip them. AmpereTime has already changed to LiTime. Who knows if CHINS will be around in 5 years, though I believe the company who makes CHINS has been around for quite some time. Battleborn's days might be numbered, because they are making some fatal mistakes, IMO.

Since you are on the DIY solar forum, watch some videos on how to put together your own solar generator. Will Prowse has at least one. It's easier than you think and way cheaper than buying a pre-built. And if anything goes wrong with it, you now have the skills to fix it for cheap. if you buy a $120 BMS and it fails in 5 years, then your repair cost is $120 + your time (less than 30 minutes once you know how, say 1-2 hours if you're still learning). And you can save your gray hairs trying to deal with warranty claims.

altestore has been good for us as well, never had to return anything so never used after-sales support.

We don’t use a hand truck; just move the individual parts separately as needed. Wishing currentconnected would use their 16 ton press to make some beefy inverter battery cables that incorporate an Anderson connector for portability. @HighTechLab

I was going to recommend you to build your own solar generator (search YouTube for DIY solar generator on hand truck). Anyway, I used my Bluetti AC200MAX (fed by solar panels on both inputs) for a year running a mini-split without any issue and at the same time, I returned three Bluetti EB3A for overloading (for no reason) with only a 30-watt light bulb load. I don't know what to tell you about customer service. It comes down to how lucky you get when asking for support. Don't feel bad, I spent $14K on EG4 equipment and got no support from Signature Solar.
Good morning @z_zk_z I would like to apologize that you didn't get the experience you expected or that we aim to give from our team. If you'd like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com with your name and order number, I would love to get you any remaining support you may need and ensure you can reach us any time you may need to in the future.

altestore has been good for us as well, never had to return anything so never used after-sales support.

We don’t use a hand truck; just move the individual parts separately as needed. Wishing currentconnected would use their 16 ton press to make some beefy inverter battery cables that incorporate an Anderson connector for portability. @HighTechLab
Have you seen these?

I am a big fan of DIY. I guess that is why I am in this forum. It is much more rewarding putting together your own system rather than purchasing some premade All in One or whatever new Do Dad comes along so that you do not need to think or plan but just connect a few wires from the panels and then plug it in.

Quality products are built to last. If you are always looking for the cheapest item, then you may experience a higher chance of failure and then also it may cost you more money.

I like to look at systems from a fundamental approach. What do you need for a basic solar system? Solar panels, Charge controllers, Batteries, BMS's, Inverters, Wire, Fuses, Breakers Etc.

When you go and try to combine everything into a tidy nice package that is quick and easy to hook up, then what do you end up with? Something that if it works then you do not have a clue as to how to fix it when it breaks down. You need to contact the service department and beg and plead for help which probably will not happen.

They make more money by selling you a new gizmo than trying to offer free service. What I have found with electronics is that it expires almost as fast as you buy it. Trying to get service is very difficult because they have already come out with a newer model and they no longer support the older models.

What I am getting a is that most likely you will be servicing your own stuff if it gets serviced at all. If you design your system with DIY LFP Cells then when one of them fails then unscrew the defective Cell and pop in a new one and you are good to go. If one of your Overkill Solar BMS's goes bad, then they will send you a new one free of charge. If one of your Victron Charge Controllers goes bad, then buy another one. The list goes on, but the bottom line is that you can service it yourself.

If you purchased quality components for your System then it will not require much if any maintenance and it will last for a long time.

Exeltech

I started off with two non-working 48v inverters purchased from a shady seller of an auction site and they were able to repair both of them for $100 each + shipping. When the shipping company damaged one on the return trip, then "lost" it after they picked it up to "inspect the damage" and denied the claim. Exeltech sent a refurbished replacement at no cost to me that was much newer than the unit I started with.

Their tech support folks responded to my e-mails quickly even after hours on a holiday weekend. They called me personally to explain the situation when the shipping company "lost" my inverter promised to make it right ... and then followed thorough and really did.

They make high quality products in the USA and provide support for them.

Special thanks to Joe and Matilda.

Good call. I'll get some connectors on order today, I need to place an order with that vendor anyway, so your timing is impeccable!

Interesting.
Similarly, when it comes to BLUETTI, my purchasing process was very smooth, and the customer support was very responsive. I made my purchase on their official website.
Perhaps the support staff on the official website platform are the most professional, whereas I have heard some unpleasant experiences shopping on eBay.

Last edited:
The more I read about both technical and customer service issues, the more worried I get about spending another $4k on a solar generator. Seems like all the big names like Bluetti, Delta, etc. have terrible service. I already spent $2k on two bluetti EB240 systems 2 years ago and neither work right now and customer service is being very difficult.

I'd prefer to spend an extra 20% to find a company that has excellent customer service and can be trusted to do what they promise as far as their warranty & service. Is there such a company?
Interesting.

Similarly, when it comes to BLUETTI, my purchasing process was very smooth, and the customer support was very responsive. I made my purchase on their official website.

Perhaps the support staff on the official website platform are the most professional, whereas I have heard some unpleasant experiences shopping on eBay.

Interesting.

Are you affiliated with Bluetti?

Back