diy solar

diy solar

Conformance testing IEEE 1547

trichendollar

I'm currently in the process of filling out my application for interconnection. I live in West Virginia and in it's regulations for DER and the information I have from Appalachian Power it states I will have to do Conformance Testing according to the IEEE 1547 and report my results in order to finish the interconnection process. I've been scouring the internet for information on how to perform these type of tests with no luck. According to the IEEE 1547 the test would be Utility Interactive, Islanding, Reconnection, O/U Voltage and Frequency, Synchronization, EMI, Surge Withstand, DC Injection, and Harmonics. Anyone any experience with this process or any information that can get me going in the right direction? Thanks!

Conducting that level of testing is far outside the ability of most if not nearly all people deploying this equipment.

I bet you this is just a reference to the IEEE standard and is stated by the utilitly as a "scare tactic".

I have never heard of anyone having to demonstrate anything other than anti-islanding, aka a proper and timely shutdown if the grid is interrupted.

Can you find someone else one the same utilitity to verify what they had to go through to het permission to intertie?

I have from Appalachian Power it states I will have to do Conformance Testing according to the IEEE 1547
I suspect you are reading a “generic “ document that includes relatively large generating systems. I’d expect if you read closely your type system is not included. Might post the documents you are looking at

Attachments

• WVNetMeteringCustomerPackage11-15-2019 (dragged).pdf
    188.2 KB · Views: 6
  • WVNetMeteringCustomerPackage11-15-2019 (dragged) 2.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
  • WVNetMeteringCustomerPackage11-15-2019 (dragged) 3.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 2
Have you obtained and read these articles?

Conformance — shall mean the interconnection installation evaluation required by IEEE 1547 Section 5.3 and the commissioning test required by IEEE 1547 Section 5.4.

Did you call up the utility or ask around locally?

If I moved to your area I would presume that there are minimal/zero commissioning tests, which is the standard in California.

Which is probably why it will be challenging for you to get an answer from this forum.

Since this is pretty unusual, you might also want to blast this question on more forums.

This page out of your POCO instructions also sounds quite normal and customer friendly . I’m digging for info based on my above hypothesis that they’re just asking for simple checkbox / send in right certificates, in scary/complicated language.

1703466562390.png

Yeah I thought the same thing when I first read it that it may just be a form that you check the box saying that it passed, but the more I went down the rabbits hole I was worried it may require some defined values from testing.

Back