diy solar

diy solar

Cracked Panel Glass Repair

A gravity feed gun with a large orifice will work fine, but I was thinking that just brushing it on should work fine. It will need a flow agent even if it is sprayed, so maybe even thinning it a bit and pouring it on might work.

I agree on the experiment part. I'm not convinced that the exterior surface needs to be glass smooth.
I think as long as it’s thin enough to fill the cracks in the glass it should work ?

I wonder how long it would last.if someone just ran a cracked panel. I have a new 100w panel that got cracked in a move. I might just run it to power a remote outside light and see how long till it corrodes.

After weeks of research I can’t find a solid solution to seal my cracked solar panels, majority say to use polyurethane products but most of them are not made for sticking to glass and I’m worried about adhesion problems, and most polyurethane products that are exterior grade are oil based and only for wood.. the best I have found that will work as far as what they claim on paper is UV resistant epoxy resin but many say it’s not good, is that because everyone just follows what everyone else says which is polyurethane products or is UV resistant epoxy resin the way to go and just not many people tried it or know with experience?
I also looked into the vinyl wrap but my panels have glass shards missing so I wanted something that will flow into the cracks to fill those gaps.

I need an opinion from someone who tried something that lasted a few years without severe yellowing or wattage loss from discoloration etc.

I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg because there are some sealants that will work perfectly but for how much it cost I’m better off buying used solar panels that are not cracked..
I broke the glass in a 20 year old 75 watt panel a couple of days ago. Not gonna spend any money on that thing, it's replacement (100 watter) is already on the way. but it still has good output, and none of the glass has started to fall out. So, what the heck--I started searching the house for something that might give a temporary stay on it's final demise. And I found these--clear vinyl laminating sheet labels. It was easy to apply--I was hasty and careless and still had very few bubbles. Time will tell how uv resistant the vinyl is.

Attachments

• brokenglass2.png
    brokenglass2.png
    758.9 KB · Views: 1
  • broken glass1.png
    broken glass1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Back