diy solar

diy solar

Cut that high speed cable!

Skypower

Solar Wizard
Several years ago I got fed up with over priced cable with poor quality service and found a deal with T-Mobile high speed home internet. At $50 a month and no data caps it was a deal. It worked fine for a few years but others found out about it and it started to slow down to crawl 20Mbps or much less. Even lower definition videos would freeze up. My area had limited choices so the search was on. I’d seen a YouTube video about an antenna upgrade to the T-Mobile Gateway and decided to give it a try. I went with the full kit QuadPro 4X4 MIMO for $399 with the 20’ cable version but select length for your needs. Since I have the older unit, I would have to do surgery because it doesn’t have external ports. The kit came with the little adapters just incase. Warning! Don’t have too much coffee or be needing it. Those connectors are tinny! I made a bracket to hold the connectors so it wouldn’t rip the little cables out. The kit is amazingly well appointed with brackets, hardware and TOOLS! Support is there for you too so fill out the info and you get a text with a map of your house and directions to different towers and they are responsive. Things to know; the closest tower isn’t necessarily the best. You may spend a good part of a day to find and peak a signal. Using antenna, gateway, an extension cord and your WiFi connected phone using a internet speed test to go portable and hunt around your house. The 4X4 is directional! A big difference in signal can be in as little as a foot in location. Rigging the antenna to a step ladder to repeat the test for a while is the way to go and not have the blood run out of your arms. Hight isn’t always the best, you will get a better signal but also possibly interference so the results can be stellar one moment than dismal the next so the house can block the unwanted signals. The tower I’m using is about 4 miles away. As a note, the Gatway is registered to your gps location, more than a few hundred feet from your home and it may stop working unless something’s changed.
New customers to T-Mobile pay $60 a month and have 1.2 Tb data cap where speeds could be reduced till next billing period. How much it’s slowed is ambiguous. But 1.2Tb is equal to streaming 4K 7 hours a day for a month! Verizon has a similar service but I don’t know what their plan is, but you should check if their coverage is better in your area. My results are amazing. Wi-Fi to my phone is faster than the TV’s WiFi but it’s plenty fast to stream 8K. This might be a cheaper option than star link
IMG_1358.jpegIMG_1385.jpegIMG_1386.jpegIMG_1377.jpegIMG_1383.jpegIMG_1384.jpeg

I just love setting up high gain directional antennas to get high speed internet where there is no signal. Here is my last project I did for relatives in a remote eastern European village. Getting 100 Mbit internet where there is no 4G service was great.
4g-antenna.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using 4G LTE for my home internet since about 2013. (only other option was Dial up from my land line at the time) In all that time it has always been with AT&T Cellular as the carrier but only a couple of years as AT&T prepaid setup through a hotspot. None of the 3 Carriers ( AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile) offer their Home internet service to my address though my prepaid phone utilizes Verizon as its carrier (poor internet on it which might be helped with a outdoor antenna). I presently am on a Cricket data only plan of 20GB for $35 a month utilizing a Netgear M1 hotspot that is wired to a external antenna similar to the OP. Without the antenna I was lucky to get 5-6mb down, with it I get 40-60mb making some TV streaming possible though limited due to my monthly GB amount.

One thing I find sad about the 3 offerings of unlimited 5G or LTE home internet is the devices are not setup to connect to an external antenna. You would think that would be a no brainer since it is likely rural folks that would want the service.

So a mod to add a external antenna setup to the gateway is a helpful thing.

I have T-Mobile home internet. Rebooting the modem every once in a while helps keep speeds up.

I tried an external antenna, but it didn't help me. Likely because I'm pretty close to a tower.

I was a cell phone booster installer for about 15 years here in Oklahoma for 4 national company's.
If installed correctly they can really increase your speed.
The best units are the Wilson brand out of Idaho or Utah.
Greg

I have T-Mobile home internet. Rebooting the modem every once in a while helps keep speeds up.

I tried an external antenna, but it didn't help me. Likely because I'm pretty close to a tower.
Yeah, the rebooting scheme worked for a little while, then it didn’t work at all. That’s when I realized I had to do something. The antenna is not pointed at the closest( 1/2 mile) where Gateway was originally receiving from but a tower 4 miles away that broadcasts band 41 (much faster). Pretty sure unless someone else is somewhat tech savvy that I’m the only one with high speed in the entire neighborhood. Not spreading the word in my neighborhood and screw myself because the more that know, the more traffic the slower it gets. The antenna is a little tougher to see it from the street than a dish, but most will think it’s some sort of specialty high end expensive coms which I won’t correct if asked lol👹 But I will tell my DIYSolar family. How long will this work before this tower slows, who knows. Perhaps some other tech or service will come along in time. The few cable providers know that they have a monopoly and price accordingly and the area is too small to run fiber to be profitable.

I was a cell phone booster installer for about 15 years here in Oklahoma for 4 national company's.
If installed correctly they can really increase your speed.
The best units are the Wilson brand out of Idaho or Utah.
Greg
Last I checked the boosters wouldn’t work with “gateways” for home internet but do great for cell or hotspot improvements. That was my first approach however, every booster I investigated had a disclaimer about that. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it has something to do with the unit’s gps and the boosters filter that out.

Yes, you are right.
They work great for hot spot cell connections.
I had a customer in Bristol Ok. who was 7 miles from the nearest tower and his down load speed was from 1 to 4 MBS so basically the internet was useless.
After install, his new booster his speed increased from that to 20 to 30 MBS.
Granted the unit I installed for him cost $1500 with a $500 install fee but 6 years later he is still using it and I have not had to do any service calls for him.
I did upgrade him to a parabolic antenna at time of install because those little antennas that come with them aren't very good for those not close to the tower.
Greg

I just love setting up high gain directional antennas to get high speed internet where there is no signal. Here is my last project I did for relatives in a remote eastern European village. Getting 100 Mbit internet where there is no 4G service was great.
View attachment 211007
How can I learn more about this stuff? Any resource/reading tips?

Get a kasa smart plug for $15 and program it to turn off once a day when no one is using Internet. I have mine turn off everyday at 4am and turn back on at 4:01am

Last edited:
Great thread. I need to call t mobile and see if I can get a Hotspot, I've tried online but it says it's not available in my area; yet I have 2 phones with t mobile service...
Currently paying 65 a month for a 2nd cell phone I use as a hotspot for SA (correct, I didn't have it before SA...)

I used my phone for a hotspot for a long time with Verizon. They would throttle the speed for hotspot data after a certain amount of usage, but never throttled the data to the phone itself.
I had a lightning to HDMI cable to connect to the TV and could stream anything I wanted ..... since it was direct connect to the phone they didn't see it as hotspot data and never throttled it ..... but I got tired of the hassle.

I went with the T-mobile gateway when 5G first hit the street here and it has worked very well for me. I've seen online threads that say you can move it to another location ..... in a camper ... and it still works. I'll haven't tried that myself yet.

Weird part with checking the speed is that it my phone .... connected to the gateway or just using 5G gets around 400 MBPS download while my laptop only gets around 45 download .... don't know why such a big difference. It's an old laptop, maybe just poor WIFI adapter.

I have an old Chromecast device on the TV and can stream pretty much anything I want no problem.

Someone recently told me that getting the hotspot device instead of the home gateway is a better deal, but haven't looked into it yet ... the $50 deal is already pretty good.

Verizon now has one too .... may switch back to them one of these days and get some free phones.

I have been using 4G LTE for my home internet since about 2013.
When I traveled in a motorhome, for 6 years, I always had several options, depending on where I was at and what carrier had service. One of the best deals was Visible. It only runs on Verizon networks. I used a Samsung 7 or 8 as a hotspot. Cost, $25 per month, unlimited data. If you have actual Verizon service it might work for you. I used USB to connect and move the phone to the best location for reception. If too far from the computer I used wireless.

The cost was really $40 but, 4 people could create a "party" and then each got it for $25. Reddit had groups for people looking to join a party. From what I see it is now $25 without a "party".

Great thread. I need to call t mobile and see if I can get a Hotspot, I've tried online but it says it's not available in my area; yet I have 2 phones with t mobile service...
Currently paying 65 a month for a 2nd cell phone I use as a hotspot for SA (correct, I didn't have it before SA...)
The Gateway (T-mobile home internet) is similar but not quite the same as a hotspot. It seems like the major difference is lack of portability(gps location assignment) and more generous data caps with the T-Mobile home internet.
Also try to find out if Verizon’s or AT&T ‘s version of “5G high speed home internet” is available in your area. There may be other players. The main thing to look for is monthly payment, no contract and high or no data caps(you gotta dig for details). I believe that the 4X4 MIMO antenna works with all three companies’s units but first try it because many find the unit works fine without it so why spend 4 Benjamins if you don’t have to. If you think you need an antenna and you buy it through Amazon and find out doesn’t work you do have a return window. As a note; I had nothing but trouble trying to get the Solar Assistant to stay WiFi connected to the gateway but the gateway also has two network ports so I ran a 50’ Cat8 cable to the Pi and it’s been rock solid for over a year now. There are 11 other devices WiFi connected to it without any issues.
IMG_1387.jpeg

The Gateway (T-mobile home internet) is similar but not quite the same as a hotspot. It seems like the major difference is lack of portability(gps location assignment) and more generous data caps with the T-Mobile home internet.
Also try to find out if Verizon’s or AT&T ‘s version of “5G high speed home internet” is available in your area. There may be other players. The main thing to look for is monthly payment, no contract and high or no data caps(you gotta dig for details). I believe that the 4X4 MIMO antenna works with all three companies’s units but first try it because many find the unit works fine without it so why spend 4 Benjamins if you don’t have to. If you think you need an antenna and you buy it through Amazon and find out doesn’t work you do have a return window. As a note; I had nothing but trouble trying to get the Solar Assistant to stay WiFi connected to the gateway but the gateway also has two network ports so I ran a 50’ Cat8 cable to the Pi and it’s been rock solid for over a year now. There are 11 other devices WiFi connected to it without any issues.
View attachment 211239
Thank you for the additional info, I know I have good coverage from the big 3 thanks to my works IT department changing carriers to find the next best "cost savings"
I'll shop around, the next billing cycle starts next week...

I also need to look into this further, if be fine with the data cap for $10 a month.

When I traveled in a motorhome, for 6 years, I always had several options, depending on where I was at and what carrier had service. One of the best deals was Visible. It only runs on Verizon networks. I used a Samsung 7 or 8 as a hotspot. Cost, $25 per month, unlimited data. If you have actual Verizon service it might work for you. I used USB to connect and move the phone to the best location for reception. If too far from the computer I used wireless.

The cost was really $40 but, 4 people could create a "party" and then each got it for $25. Reddit had groups for people looking to join a party. From what I see it is now $25 without a "party".
Depending on your location Visible can be a great deal. It does run on Verizon but during high traffic times Verizon customers get priority. It worked fine everywhere except……my home🙄 I found out the hard way on a holiday weekend and couldn’t use the phone at all. But hey you got to try things to save money and what didn’t work for me could work for you.

Thank you for the additional info, I know I have good coverage from the big 3 thanks to my works IT department changing carriers to find the next best "cost savings"
I'll shop around, the next billing cycle starts next week...

I also need to look into this further, if be fine with the data cap for $10 a month.
You can sometimes get a $5 a month discount for auto payments if it’s linked to a debit or checking account and not a credit card. Something to look for.

You can sometimes get a $5 a month discount for auto payments if it’s linked to a debit or checking account and not a credit card. Something to look for.
Yea, I have that set up for the $50 a month unlimited plan through Metro for my primary phone. I never set up auto-pay for $65 plan because it was only temporary (4 or 5 months ago...)

Back