diy solar

diy solar

Davie from Florida

RschDev

Hi y'all. I'm a retired guy from the swamps of North Florida. I live in a large and well organized alternative community. There are about 100 households here, and solar is slowly starting to make an impact. We have two houses that are solar. One started out with a garage full of flooded lead acid batteries, and has switched to net metering. The other home was net metered from the start. There are also several experimenters (myself included) doing smaller projects. In my case, I live a pretty mobile lifestyle and have added the original HF 45 watt system and a FLA deep cycle to my tiny fiberglass travel trailer. It's not awesome, but has helped after hurricanes when we have no power for a week or longer. After a hurricane, I use the battery in the trailer to charge devices for myself and my neighbors, and on hot evenings, sleep in the trailer with a fan blowing.

Lately, we have been considering installing a solar system for our large and often used community center. We have a proposal from a local company for installing a net metering system, and also have folks interested in buying a couple of racks of batteries. There is a lot of discussion, with one opinion being that new technology is just around the corner and we should wait.

Personally, I'm doing my best to get a high efficiency 12v chest refrigerator installed in my tow vehicle. I'm trying to get a U1 Valence battery to serve as a backup for when the truck isn't running, and have found a 12v 2A DC/DC tow charger that I hope to keep the battery topped between stops. Thanks in advance for reading my stuff, and for any advice that comes my way.

While I'm new to DIY Solar, I am active in the international makerspace movement, and have videos about makerspaces around the world at www.maker9601.org.

Cheers,
Davie

Welcome RschDev! Sounds like you hip deep with the mosquitoes in solar projects! Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Welcome RschDev! Sounds like you hip deep with the mosquitoes in solar projects! Looking forward to hearing more about them.
Sad to say that it's been so dry up here the last couple of months that mosquitos are not a thing.

Back