diy solar

diy solar

N00b who knows just enough to be dangerous

kobalt60

Hi y’all, long time lurker living in North Carolina, at least most of the year. I’ve been following @Wil Prowse on YouTube for a few years and finally pulled the trigger on what will eventually become my first ‘big’ build. I’m pretty excited to hear what folks have to say and am totally in learning mode since I have enough training and experience to know there’s a lot here I don’t know.
By way of background, I was trained and served as a submarine nuclear reactor operator in the 90’s. So I’ve worked on high power DC and AC electrical and electronic systems before as a technician, but have never designed and built my own. As the title says, I know enough to be dangerous… to others, as my electrical safety knowledge and life preservation instinct is still on point (hopefully.)
I’ll start a build thread in the newbie corner to solicit recommendations, but my interest is mainly mobile RV off-grid focused. I have a 28’ travel trailer that my family lives in while traveling all around the country for several months of every year. This is our third year (2024) doing this and we’re currently traveling through the Southwest US. Last year we spent the summer in the Northeast and we were all over Florida the year before that. I work full time for a technology company that allows me to work from anywhere and my children are home schooled, which gives us the freedom to live this alternative lifestyle we usually love.
I’m looking forward to engaging with you all and learning a few things in the process. Hopefully I’ll be able to share some useful knowledge too, or at least serve as a cautionary example :)

Oh, so far my recent experience with any of this is upgrading the lead acid battery on my travel trailer to an AmpereTime 12v 200AH LiFePo battery.

Back