diy solar

diy solar

Deye 5kw hybrid inverter Battery Settings (LOW BATT/SHUTDOWN/RESTART/BATT EMPTY)

arzaman

Hi Guys
I'm getting crazy to tune the battery charging parameters of my Deye 5Kw hybrid inverter and don't find a reliable source to understand the exact behaviour of each single parameter

My 5kw Deye Inverter connected to DIY battery bank made by 16 * 160Ah cells and JK active BMS
No CAN/rs485 connection
Battery Settings: Use Battery Voltage (I try with % but is a mess)
Zero Export to load
All house load connected to the backup load

would like also to understand the meaning of below parameters and how inverter uses these parameters
I basically see 5 parameters related to battery voltage
  1. battery setting - LOW BAT
  2. battery setting - SHUT DOWN
  3. battery setting - RESTART
  4. time of use - BATT
  5. Hidden GUI parameter - BATT EMPTY V
how should I combine all of them to discharge the 16x160Ah cells in a proper way (no grid charge ) ??
what is the parameter that controls grid kick out and kick in ?
Would like a safe setting to discharge the battery to 15-20% max but don't find a proper combination

thanks
Davide

Last edited:
the 'proper way' is to fix this...
Thanks for your suggestion and I'm trying to implement communication between JKBMS and Deye Inverter
nevertheeless I'm "curious" to understand the LOGIC behind the 5 parameters
It's something coded in the SW...so the effects/behaviour/algorithm should be well known ..but no clear reference

any advice is appreciated
Davide

OK - hopefully someone with a Deye / Sunsynk / Sol-Ark will be able to help.

1. LOW BAT Low battery voltage or % (battery symbol on the home screen will turn yellow). Stopping point for TOU.
2. SHUT DOWN Battery voltage or % at which the inverter will shut down to protect the battery from an over discharge situation.
3. RESTART Battery voltage or % at which AC output will resume conversion DC to AC after reaching “shutdown” voltage.
4. ?
5. BATT Empty V Sets the empty voltage and associates this voltage to 0% charge. This value determines the lowest % SOC limit.

1. LOW BAT Low battery voltage or % (battery symbol on the home screen will turn yellow). Stopping point for TOU.
2. SHUT DOWN Battery voltage or % at which the inverter will shut down to protect the battery from an over discharge situation.
3. RESTART Battery voltage or % at which AC output will resume conversion DC to AC after reaching “shutdown” voltage.
4. ?
5. BATT Empty V Sets the empty voltage and associates this voltage to 0% charge. This value determines the lowest % SOC limit.
many thanks ...fog is becoming more clear

Numbers 2 and 3 are self-explanatory and clear.
As per your explanation, Number 5 appears to involve a sort of calibration process to establish the SOC=0 level for my battery bank, like using 2.5 multiplied by 16 to achieve 40V.

Regarding Number 1, in my experience, the 'LOW batt' condition solely acts as an alarm, no action on the grid. When the voltage reach this level, it triggers an alarm)beep) but doesn't prompt any action within the charge/discharge logic.

It appears that the parameter affecting the grid activation is 'BATT' in the Time of Use section. I've currently set it to 51.1V (3.2 x cell — approximately 20% capacity) for all time slots. It seems that grid is kicked in when the voltage reaches that specified level, although I'm not entirely certain.

does it make sense ?
Davide

many thanks ...fog is becoming more clear

Numbers 2 and 3 are self-explanatory and clear.
As per your explanation, Number 5 appears to involve a sort of calibration process to establish the SOC=0 level for my battery bank, like using 2.5 multiplied by 16 to achieve 40V.

Regarding Number 1, in my experience, the 'LOW batt' condition solely acts as an alarm, no action on the grid. When the voltage reach this level, it triggers an alarm)beep) but doesn't prompt any action within the charge/discharge logic.

It appears that the parameter affecting the grid activation is 'BATT' in the Time of Use section. I've currently set it to 51.1V (3.2 x cell — approximately 20% capacity) for all time slots. It seems that grid is kicked in when the voltage reaches that specified level, although I'm not entirely certain.

does it make sense ?
Davide
Not sure if Sol-Ark is the same.

Batt: Voltage or percentage battery state-of-charge at which the system stops discharging batteries. If “? Charge” is checked, the
“Batt” V / % setpoint will change its meaning and it will now be the upper limit at which the inverter charges the battery up to with
an AC power source (grid or generator).

This and the other descriptions are from the Sol-Ark 15K manual.

Not sure if Sol-Ark is the same.

Batt: Voltage or percentage battery state-of-charge at which the system stops discharging batteries. If “? Charge” is checked, the
“Batt” V / % setpoint will change its meaning and it will now be the upper limit at which the inverter charges the battery up to with
an AC power source (grid or generator).

This and the other descriptions are from the Sol-Ark 15K manual.

I believe Deye has same behaviour
I have a good understanding of the meaning of 'BAT' in the Time of Use table; empirically, it serves as the threshold for grid activation (no Grid charging flag).
However, I'm still uncertain about the relationship between this and the 'LOW BAT' parameter in the Battery settings menu :unsure::unsure:

Suppose I set 'BAT' in the time of use to 51.2V. In this scenario, what value would make sense for the 'LOW BAT' parameter?

Davide

Back