diy solar

diy solar

DIY 96v lifepo4

You can find them, but >48V is danger zone, why do you want to do this?

You can find them, but >48V is danger zone, why do you want to do this?
DIY EV routinely use greater than 48 volt for the traction packs (as far as I know), but I don't know what type of bms systems they use. I've never built one myself so am not sure. The efficiency bonus of the 96v pack would be nice but there doesn't seem to be many options for equipment like charge controllers etc.

DIY EV routinely use greater than 48 volt for the traction packs (as far as I know), but I don't know what type of bms systems they use. I've never built one myself so am not sure. The efficiency bonus of the 96v pack would be nice but there doesn't seem to be many options for equipment like charge controllers etc.
Most industrial solar equipment can take DC battery voltage from 48v all the way up to 500v or more. A 96 volt battery would be sweet for inverter use because it's almost a 1:1 DC to AC conversion ratio, and wouldn't need very large wiring or high amperage components.

IMHO, high voltage ANYTHING isn't good to mess around with, but it's not much more dangerous than using mains or AC inverter power.

A 96 volt lifepo4 battery would be 32s with a nominal voltage of 102.4.
For the big blue 280ah cells that are popular here that is ~400 pounds.
3.2 volts * 280 amp hours * 32 cells = 28672 watt hours.

Switching 96VDC is a big deal compared to 120VAC.

I considered it, but all the equipment around the battery is much harder to get: inverters, charge controllers, BMS - all become much rare and expensive.

20190404_153845_20190404_153845.jpg
This is my current project. I had built this boat for my specific needs of coastal cruising. It is 35', trailer able, beachable, light, fast (35+kts) and has less than 8' bridge clearance. It did everything it was designed to do. Now I want to go farther (maybe the great loop) and tired of filling it with gas. Dont need to go fast, happy with 6kts ( hull speed) .
Currently it has 600watts of solar and 12v battery bank.
I will soon be ordering 12 REC panels at 275 watts each making a 4500 watt array. So far that is all I know for sure because I want to maximize the power and that is what I can fit on the boat.
It does not need much to push it at 6kts. I am figuring less than 10hp will do but will want a little reserve power.
I am asking advice on doing a 96v system because, like I said I want maximum power and efficiency. I have done many simple solar systems before but none were 96v.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dont bother if your going to tell me it can't be done.

View attachment 53503
This is my current project. I had built this boat for my specific needs of coastal cruising. It is 35', trailer able, beachable, light, fast (35+kts) and has less than 8' bridge clearance. It did everything it was designed to do. Now I want to go farther (maybe the great loop) and tired of filling it with gas. Dont need to go fast, happy with 6kts ( hull speed) .
I will soon be ordering 12 REC panels at 275 watts each making a 4500 watt array. So far that is all I know for sure because I want to maximize the power and that is what I can fit on the boat.
It does not need much to push it at 6kts. I am figuring less than 10hp will do but will want a little reserve power.
I am asking advice on doing a 96v system because, like I said I want maximum power and efficiency. I have done many simple solar systems before but none were 96v.
Good choice on voltage as there is an abundance of 90VCD motors be aware that 10 HP internal combustion is less than 10 HP in a DC motor which means that you do not need a 10 hp dc motor.

I am doing an electric boat with lifepo4 cells and most likely using 96vdc motors but the bms I am using is EMUS BMS they can handle as many cells and can handle the voltages for sure they have been great to deal with.

View attachment 53503
Great looking boat and project. I've been looking at a similar thing for a power catamaran. I've been mulling over two old 40-60HP outboards that might be renovated to use 96V electric motors like this.

or this:

Is that what you are going to do, adapt an outboard to be electric?

Back