diy solar

diy solar

DIY 'Chargenectifier'

42OhmsPA

What's in a title?
Based of the informative info recently posted by @ChrisFullPower in another thread I'm intrigued in DIY'ing a charger from used rectifiers.
A quick search on eBay for '48v rectifier' has made me realize it's definitely doable at costs much lower than off the shelf options...

I'll start with a few examples of what I've found.

I'm assuming one would need to figure out a way to adjust the voltage, unless you can find something pre-programmed.

(I apologize for the terrible links, I'm using the ebay app to share the item and copy the link.)
These look promising because you could parallel them together to hit your target and/or have the ability to scale them.

This seems like an excellent price but you'd need more connectors.

This seems like a great option for our friends up North.

So what am I missing here? I feel like it has to be something substantial or it would already be a popular topic...

The crux of all this is figuring out how to turn these on and communicate with them. It’s not as simple as flip a switch. For that reason I’d stick to either the Eltek Flatpak2 or Huawei r4850. Here are some threads from another board that may be of some use.

The Hauwei used to be a better value but someone on YouTube make a few videos that got a bunch of views so now it’s gone up in price. But at least he has a good write up about it:

The Huawei rectifier itself goes for around $150 for 3kw and the breakout adapter goes for about $20. You don’t need the adapter but it makes it much easier to mess around with.

The Eltek seems to be more plentiful on eBay (as it’s sold and used in the US) and you can get the 2kw or 3kw for $100-ish. Someone made an adapter PCB that also goes for about $20.

Search around on GitHub and you’ll see a few projects that may give you a good starting point.

Based of the informative info recently posted by @ChrisFullPower in another thread I'm intrigued in DIY'ing a charger from used rectifiers.
A quick search on eBay for '48v rectifier' has made me realize it's definitely doable at costs much lower than off the shelf options...

I'll start with a few examples of what I've found.

I'm assuming one would need to figure out a way to adjust the voltage, unless you can find something pre-programmed.

(I apologize for the terrible links, I'm using the ebay app to share the item and copy the link.)
These look promising because you could parallel them together to hit your target and/or have the ability to scale them.

This seems like an excellent price but you'd need more connectors.

This seems like a great option for our friends up North.

So what am I missing here? I feel like it has to be something substantial or it would already be a popular topic...
BRAVO!!!!! That’s what this boards all about, creativity, well done. I spent my own share of time hunting chinese web sites to see who really manufactured that unit. This will be fun to watch.

Thank you for the info and links, very helpful @ChrisFullPower
Looks like a another project is going on the never ending rarely completely finished list, using invisible ink and transparent paper of course... ?

The crux of all this is figuring out how to turn these on and communicate with them.
This previously posted link goes into it a bit as well as the others below, the 2nd one being a massive thread..

The little voltage/current controller in the below video is pretty cool... link to it below as well.

Part 2

Here’s the current controller.

Fakebook discussion

PSU pinout
1678153619295.png

1678153664291.jpeg

Last edited:
BRAVO!!!!! That’s what this boards all about, creativity, well done.
Agreed 100%. I'll do some more research and post updates when I start ordering. I'm planning to power it using my small inverter generator, 3kw will be just over 80% of its rating and give me ~50a @56v after efficiency losses. (it's crazy a year ago that statement would have been Greek to me, amazing forum!)
I spent my own share of time hunting chinese web sites to see who really manufactured that unit.
As did I...
This will be fun to watch.
And hopefully helpful to others in the future.

Your post above will be very helpful, thank you!

Edit for link to said generator https://wenproducts.com/collections...ducts/4000-watt-open-frame-inverter-generator

cool!!!

I thought that "chargeverter" was a reasonable name tho...
I never thought it wasn't a reasonable and catchy name, had to come up with something different for the DIY side so there were no copyright issues ?.
The product you are offering truly is an amazing value for the money, I'm just stubborn, frugal and have way to much fun building things.
Heck I even wanted to DIY my inverter until I spent an hour on thebackshed and realized I'd probably end up under the shed...

I never thought it wasn't a reasonable and catchy name, had to come up with something different for the DIY side so there were no copyright issues ?.
The product you are offering truly is an amazing value for the money, I'm just stubborn, frugal and have way to much fun building things.
Heck I even wanted to DIY my inverter until I spent an hour on thebackshed and realized I'd probably end up under the shed...
I love that

Wear that as a badge of honor, more people should be like you.... as an amateur radio operator that's the core to our hobby, or was... and that's what I love about solar.
Thank you.
Interesting that's something else that has really peaked my interests recently (HAM). So much so that I ordered a cheap baofang and programmed local repeaters as well as a few NOAA frequencies with chirp. Don't worry I disabled transmit completely until I learn more and get my license, which I feel I should do sooner than later.

How do these used rectifiers compare with these programmable power supply/chargers from Meanwell?

These support CanBus, PMBus, programmable charge profile, and 0-5V analog control over charge current

At first glance, the main difference seems to be price/performance, since these are $400/kW while the ones up-thread are $100 for 3kW

I used meanwell RSP-1000 and RSP-2000 in the past with great success. Those one are constant current limited and output 125%, so they are 1250W and 2500W charger. One other nice feature is they accept DC as input.
RSP series isn't seal as the HEP series, but they cost around $250/kW (well, $200/kW considering 125% output) new and I found a RSP-1000 for 100$ few years ago.

Back