diy solar

diy solar

Do I need bus bars?

keepinpalid

I am building a system for my van and have the following setup:

- Eg4 3000EHV 48v
- 2 standard lifepower 4 batteries (1 set of posts on each)
- 48v to 12 v converter for 12v fuse

I’m trying to keep it simple and planned on putting two rings on each post like this:
- Battery 1: 3000EHV incoming connection and outgoing connection to second battery
- Battery 2: Incoming battery 1 connection and outgoing connection to 12v converter
I believe I would actually connect the positive from the 3KEHV to one battery, and the negative to the other battery but you get the idea.

Why do some people recommend a bus bar and what would be the benefits if I did go with a bus bar setup?

If I did use bus bars, would I have one bar for the positive connections and a second bar or the negatives? And then the 3K and batteries and the 12v converter would all connect to each of the bus bars (+ and -)?

Thanks for the advise!

I am building a system for my van and have the following setup:

- Eg4 3000EHV 48v
- 2 standard lifepower 4 batteries (1 set of posts on each)
- 48v to 12 v converter for 12v fuse

I’m trying to keep it simple and planned on putting two rings on each post like this:
- Battery 1: 3000EHV incoming connection and outgoing connection to second battery
- Battery 2: Incoming battery 1 connection and outgoing connection to 12v converter
I believe I would actually connect the positive from the 3KEHV to one battery, and the negative to the other battery but you get the idea.

do you mean this?

1715041476313.png

Converter would also be attached to upper left and lower right terminals.

Why do some people recommend a bus bar and what would be the benefits if I did go with a bus bar setup?

If I did use bus bars, would I have one bar for the positive connections and a second bar or the negatives? And then the 3K and batteries and the 12v converter would all connect to each of the bus bars (+ and -)?

Thanks for the advise!

IMHO, when it's 1-2 batteries, bus bars are for convenience rather than necessity. Generally speaking, I want to avoid stacking multiple (3+) high current wires on a single terminal. Since you're going to an AiO, you already have a reduced number of connections.

do you mean this?

View attachment 213715

Converter would also be attached to upper left and lower right terminals.

IMHO, when it's 1-2 batteries, bus bars are for convenience rather than necessity. Generally speaking, I want to avoid stacking multiple (3+) high current wires on a single terminal. Since you're going to an AiO, you already have a reduced number of connections.
Thank you, that’s exactly what I was planning. Some of the other threads made it sound like a bus bar was important for safety/performance, but if it’s just about convenience then I may skip it.

The bus bar gets more convenient as more circuits are added for other loads and charging. Eventually the terminals fill up. For that set up no bus is needed. Can be easily added in the future if needed.

I use Victron Lynx power in. Not very expensive (you get 2 busbars in one case). It helps you to build a clean installation. Also if you want to add more to your system, it provides some flexibility.

Maybe not necessary, but i would definitely go for busbars.

Back