diy solar

diy solar

DON'T Install DC Isolators on Solar

No need for additional weatherproofing. I've had mine installed on my array for over a year and there is not any water intrusion.

The NEMA 4 metal box it is attached to however does sweat internally.
I totally know that and agree with you… i did it because it’s how I do most everything…it comes from working/ living on sea- going boats… look at any fitting / fixture or device… ask yourself “ how could this fail “..?

OK I see three ways …. Let’s prep it for all three… Done …. move on and forget it…

There is nothing wrong with the genuine IMO brand device the way it is… I just like an
extra layer of protection ( if practical and possible) for anything that has potential to create a domino effect…

if one is worried , then don’t mount potential sources of ignition on a wooden and asphalt shingle roof…

on yard mounted panels , the worst that happens is ya need a few new panels and try to figure out what happened and why…..

Avoid cheap Chinese knock offs ..there all over the place online … , buy the real deal , and live happy…

?, Roger That ., right on… copy,… Make it so,…10/4 front door…. Warp Nine Mr Sulu,…..

J.

Reactions: Zwy
How are these being mounted? Hard to believe they have that many intrusion issues unless they are mounted incorrectly.
FYI we use to drill holes in the bottom of bell boxes back in the day to let the condensation out.
You’re right …totally …. This is why I firmly believe that DIY will never work with solar gear in the long run for the populous ….it’s too knowledge based….it is not easy….a high percentage of the masses will never “do the work” needed to learn to do things right…

This will cause well publicized incidents and concerns for safety…

Remember the code of the media…”If it Bleeds it Leads”

Only a certain percentage of people are wired to strive for excellence in any endeavor..

As poor workmanship, mistakes and the resulting casualty’s / damage increase , so will the laws regulations , codes , rules, fees, restrictions and oversight…it’s happened with almost every facet of life as we know it Today.
it’s hard to do anything anymore compared to 40 - 50 years ago without a controlling authority’s permission, instruction or threat of penalty.

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I see..

J.

Wouldn’t a non-fused version like this work? Seems robust as heck. “Only” twice the price but bullet proof.

Grrr….apple last update killed my ability to post photos.

That's fine as long as you follow the wiring diagram for its ratings. (3 poles in series) and you use a fuse that meets the requirements (on the inside of door) , ahead of the disconnect.

Use Myers hubs on the bottom. Water doesn't run vertical up.
There is a seal present. I just happen to have an extra laying around the shop.
First photo with seal and shaft in case.
Next photo, seal in case.
Next is end view of seal removed from case.
Side view of seal.
The seal fits tight in the groove and the other case half fits tight in that groove. Here is the photo. I had to work to get the case halves apart after removing the screws.
Even the screws on the cover have a seal on the screw.
Thank you for the great pictures :)
I confess to not being aware of the shaft seal :oops:
Mine has been in service since 2017, perhaps if you examine an older unit that has been outdoors you might find the lid seal less than perfect. In any case I prefer not to expose directly to the elements if I can avoid it, just call me over-cautious :)

That's fine as long as you follow the wiring diagram for its ratings. (3 poles in series) and you use a fuse that meets the requirements (on the inside of door) , ahead of the disconnect.
A couple of questions if you don’t mind.

Does 3 pole simply mean that it passes 3 wires? And therefore can be used for one string (positive and negative)?

I don’t understand your comment that there are three poles in series.

Thanks

A couple of questions if you don’t mind.

Does 3 pole simply mean that it passes 3 wires? And therefore can be used for one string (positive and negative)?

I don’t understand your comment that there are three poles in series.

Thanks
If you look at the pictures in the link you posted.
It shows a wiring diagram for DC at 600v.
You use all 3 poles of the switch.
Positive loops through the left and center poles of the switch. And negative uses the right pole of the switch.
This provides 3 simultaneous openings on the circuit when the switch is operated. This helps mitigate arcing.

Back