diy solar

diy solar

dual inverter chargers and battery bank

deeperblue

Hi,

Suppose I use dual inverter charger-inverters, and I use a roughly 1200AH Lithium battery bank (300AH per 12v battery). Should I make it one battery bank and connects to two inverters or should I make it two separate battery banks (600AH each) and connect them to inverters separately?

What are their pros and cons? I know an obvious con is one battery bank could drain faster than the other.

Thanks!

Hi,

Suppose I use dual inverter charger-inverters, and I use a roughly 1200AH Lithium battery bank (300AH per 12v battery). Should I make it one battery bank and connects to two inverters or should I make it two separate battery banks (600AH each) and connect them to inverters separately?

What are their pros and cons? I know an obvious con is one battery bank could drain faster than the other.

Thanks!

If the inverters are operating in parallel, then they need to be connected to the same bank. If they are completely separate from each other, then you can do what you want - whatever is convenient for you.

Given your obvious con, the answer is a single battery... why have unused capacity in a separate battery for a less demanding system?

All chargers applied to whatever battery arrangement you have must not exceed the rated charge current for your battery.

The only possible pro would be for redundancy but even then it would have to be some type of power surge that takes out all 4 separate batteries with their BMS's, even together the whole system could run with 1 battery while the other 3 are off.

I only have one inverter but I built two separate 12v batteries (2p4s) in parallel for battery redundancy.
If somehow one battery is off-line, the power usage would have to be limited.

Idk about this. Is this just for charging? If inverting I don't think they would care.

"A large inverter/charger or a 3-phase inverter/charger can be created by connecting multiple inverter/chargers together. These units communicate with each other and, together, they become one large inverter/charger. They all need to be connected to the same battery bank."

I only have one inverter but I built two separate 12v batteries (2p4s) in parallel for battery redundancy.
If somehow one battery is off-line, the power usage would have to be limited.

This may confuse someone, so I feel compelled to clarify. This is still one battery. Batteries are a collection of cells or batteries. For clarity, a group of batteries is referred to as a "battery bank." You have one battery comprised of two parallel 12V.

Back