diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv + EG4 powerpro wall mount cargo trailer system

bambalam

Hi, Im a solar Noob.

I'm in the process of building a solar system inside a 6x12 cargo trailer. We are moving onto raw undeveloped land soon and will be installing an 18kpv and EG4 powerpro battery inside the cargo trailer temporarily until I can get some permanent structures built on the property. I will then move the system into a well build small building. We have 20 - 250W santan used panels shipping in this week (fingers crossed they are all intact) 16 of which will be mounted on 4 EG4 ground mount racks. To start out everything will be temporary and movable so that I can move things around as need be as we build our homestead from the ground up. We have grand design 30amp 125v travel tailer that will be powered from this system along with additional power consumption such as power tools, computers pumps and eventually a chest freezer etc. Planning on mounting a RV plug to the exterior of the cargo trailer to power the travel trailer and additional outlets to the interior of the cargo trailer for tools etc.

I'm confident I can handle wiring everything but curious what the best method for grounding would be for a build like this? any and all suggestions are welcome.

Not sure if you considered... Are you using only 16 panels of the 20? Or do you plan to use all 20? Given the cost per unit to shipping, I would have them throw on a couple more / spares if planning on using all 20.

Not sure if you considered... Are you using only 16 panels of the 20? Or do you plan to use all 20? Given the cost per unit to shipping, I would have them throw on a couple more / spares if planning on using all 20.
Planning on using the full 20 but hedging for any that don't make it in shipping. Eventually I will be adding more panels as we build just trying to get on the land asap so we can get started.

Got it. Shipping was not the issue I was thinking, QC was my thinking. San Tan is good but not perfect.

Got it. Shipping was not the issue I was thinking, QC was my thinking. San Tan is good but not perfect.
Understood. What you think the best bet is for grounding the system? what I'm thinking is grounding the system inside the cargo trailer to the frame and the panels to a ground rod? would that be correct?

If it's going to be a semi permanent temporary location I would pound a proper ground rod and have everything run back to that. (Ground wire from the AC panel for the AIO and ground wire for the panels).
I'm almost certain you'll want a N/G bond in the AC panel as well.

When the new location is done pound a new rod and pound the temporary one flush or cut it off.

Welcome to the forum.

Agree with above.
The N/G bond should be handled by the 18kpv.
But there may be a setting that tells it to do so.

Agree. What I was thinking was 8' rod by the trailer (by code i think you need two, not licensed) and bond at the inverter as that is your source and seems only source.

Unless you are putting in a well first, ground to that.

Back