diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kpv Solar panel help- series/parallel/series-parallel help

TheBlkSmth

I’ll start off as I’m super green into the solar game. Ready to get flamed tarred or feathered. Only way to learn ?
New purchase of the eg4 18kpv with dual battery

2xEG4 PowerPro WallMount AllWeather Lithium Battery | 48V 280Ah | 14.3kWh LiFePO4 | All-Weather Energy Storage​

I’ve got a pallet of 31 panels of Adani Solar 535w half-cut bifacial up to 650w

What is the ideal setup with the 3 mppt?
5s2p?

Inverter is going to be 300ft from solar array. Solar array is a 30 panel setup.
I was thinking 10ga use-2 wire
Thanks in advance for any help or comments folks.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.png
    IMG_0095.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0097.png
    IMG_0097.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0096.png
    IMG_0096.png
    517.4 KB · Views: 10
Your best setup is going to be 10s1p to each MPPT. The higher voltage of 10 panels in series, based on my calculations is safe to -40c/f, will make sure your panels stay in the MPPT operation range of the inverter(5 panels in series would not always get in to the optimum voltage range), minimize the impact of voltage drop(will only be 3% anyways), and give you plenty of headroom for extra current from bifacial gain.

Calculated current of 21 amps per string, will require 10 gauge wires, but gives you plenty of headroom for derating for conductors in the same conduit/trench(you can run all 3 strings in one conduit). Type of wire will depend how the wire is installed.

Also 6(+/- for 3 strings) runs of 300ft, is going to be 1800ft of wire as well as 300ft of a ground wire(can be 10 awg when in conduit), 6 arg ground wire will be need where it is run exposed in the array to bond mounts/and panels.

The data sheet provided for those panels shows they only have a 330mm wire length on them, which may require extensions if your panels are mounted in landscape orientation, or between rows.

I added some Emp protection as well. 1 Emp dual covers two arrays, 1 Emp covers the 3rd. This sound about right? What would you recommend for fuses and shutdowns before the inverter outside?
Lots of questions.
I’m off grid with 200amp square D and a Westinghouse generator wired to panel atm. No Solar parts hit yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.png
    IMG_0098.png
    535.4 KB · Views: 11
I added some Emp protection as well. 1 Emp dual covers two arrays, 1 Emp covers the 3rd. This sound about right? What would you recommend for fuses and shutdowns before the inverter outside?
Lots of questions.
I’m off grid with 200amp square D and a Westinghouse generator wired to panel atm. No Solar parts hit yet.
Those protectors will cover all the arrays. Fuses are not required as the panels are a current limited source. If your PV wires extend more then 3 ft inside a building you will need a disconnect before they enter the building. IMO makes some good ones, this one will disconnect all 3 strings at once: https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...90b56d5738df6038f8c110b99d9735#IMOSI32PEL64R6

Very nice! Thank you for the help my freind. I cannot possibly thank you enough for the answers and assistance I’ve requested tonight. You have been so helpful, thank you, thank you! It’s very exciting now to look forward to seeing this project unravel. Snow is a new enemy coming ? can’t wait for the components to arrive in the next weeks.

Back