diy solar

diy solar

EG4 24K mini split

SolarScott

Solar Enthusiast
Got my EG4 24K mini split up and running this morning. So far I only have it running of grid AC. In the next couple of days I will wire the other side of the transfer switch to tie in to my inverters. When I find a good deal on some extra panels to run straight to it, I will have the perfect set up. During the day if I am not here to consume power, like running the clothes washer, clothes dryer, oven, well pump, etc. I rarely produce 30KW. When I am around to run these items, I make around 50Kw daily. Now I can run the mini split and take advantage of all the power that I was wasting. How soon is SS coming out with multi head 12K units? I know I will need them for my bedrooms. Can someone more forum literate than I tag a few of those folks?

Great. Any pics?? You could put them in the other long running thread which I think contains more of the interest in this specific product..

@SignatureSolarJames said DIY linesets, but I don't believe he mentioned multi head units??

I bought 3 units that arrived Wed. A 12k and two 24ks. Hope to get them running by summer.

@SolarScott
Did you DIY the install?
Yes, I ran grid AC and my solar inverter AC to a transfer switch beside the outdoor unit. If I am careful with my loads I may not need to run straight off panels. I would like to go ahead and get the panels but my budget may have to wait a bit. Very simple install, even though they don't give you a template for cutting the hole. Just Measure and mark. The plate does not have pre drilled holes for 16" center studs. Lined up one sides pre drilled holes to stud and drilled my own holes in the side for the other stud. Had my neighbor HVAC guy come by and pressure test and pull vacuum, I assume I needed to do this for the warranty. He charged $100. ( I help him out with tractor work at his house) Puts out more felt heat than my 9 year old heat pump ever did. The old heat pump warmed the house, but the air never felt warm blowing out the vents. This one feels nice and toasty. Now that my energy is free, I ran the heat in the mornings....just to toasty it up, and then the AC while I am gone during the day to cool if off nice and deep freezy for when I get back. Looking forward to multi head units for my bedrooms...

That's a great price for leak test and vacuum. My guy quoted me $300. I'm not going to buy a pump and do it's myself.

I bought 18 370w Surplus new panels from Santan solar. I plan to use seven each on the two 240 volt units, and four on the 120 volt unit

I also do not think I am going to connect them to the grid right now, I think I am just going to use solar panels, and my off-grid inverter and Battery Bank for now

I also do not think I am going to connect them to the grid right now, I think I am just going to use solar panels, and my off-grid inverter and Battery Bank for now
I had two 100 amp transfer switches that I had bought before I set my system up. Did not use them and now I have a use for them. I like the flexibility of choosing grid or inverter solar for now....hopefully I will get extra panels to hook up directly.

That's a great price for leak test and vacuum. My guy quoted me $300. I'm not going to buy a pump and do it's myself.

I bought 18 370w Surplus new panels from Santan solar. I plan to use seven each on the two 240 volt units, and four on the 120 volt unit
Educate me on the on the Santan solar panels.....there seems to be many different choices...snail trails, discolored, cracking, etc., what will get you in trouble or what will last reasonably. Do you mind saying what you paid and what shipping was?

Educate me on the on the Santan solar panels.....there seems to be many different choices...snail trails, discolored, cracking, etc., what will get you in trouble or what will last reasonably. Do you mind saying what you paid and what shipping was?
SanTan
I just got
- 7 used NEO 335w panels at $89e
- 19 new surplus no warranty REC 370w panels at $155e (I personally love the REC TwinPeak2 panels. I have 18 on my house now. They handle shading better than most do to the design)

I just tested 2 of the NEOs and 1 of the RECs. Both came in over ISC (short circuit amps), and under VOC slightly
Used Neo
- 43v voc (should be 47) but my conditions may not have been perfect. Solar noon, hot, clear to slightly hazy
- ISC was about 11.3 amps, and it was supposed to be 9.8a.
- So Total is over spec

New REC TwinPeak2s
- 43.4 voc (should be 47)
- ISC was about 12.6 amps, and it was supposed to be 10.08a.
- So again ... over spec

All 7 NEO panels look perfect in condition. I only tested 2, but I'll test all 7 before I install them. I got 1 extra. I need 6

I did not dig to the bottom of the stack for the REC because they are new surplus, but the first 3 were in perfect near new condition. Only a few scuffs on the side of the frames. And that is how they were advertised.

To your question, I would avoid, Snail trail, blemished, cracked, dicolored, damaged or cracked backs etc. Stick with either surplus new or good used condition with the 1 year santan warranty. So unless you are mounting in a easy excessable place ... like not on a roof, get surplus new or used. Only get the really cheap ones if you can easy change them out. But get several extra if you want get the cheap

And honestly, now that I have the NEO 335s in hand, I would probably just ordered all 25 as NEOs. All 7 I got were in mint condition. For $89e plus $200 freight you cannot go wrong. They seemed to have a boat load of them too in both locations.

When you open up the Santan Solar Panel page, pick the size group you want (300-399w etc) and then scroll down. Santan seems to list the worse condition ones first.

Last edited:
Oops ... just looked. All the NEO 335s are gone.

But when I called them last week, they said check back regularly, they get trucks every day

I have a 24K unit on 7 385W panels...in the winter, on very cloudy days for heat it worked well to have grid-on which frequently resulted in 300W of solar plus 300W of grid power.

With the rising sun angle however, I turned the grid off on March 1, and even on cloudy days (right now for example 50F outside,was raining earlier) it's cranking away on heat at 900W. :)

Spring has been all over the place here, it also was 93F one day already.

I have a 24K unit on 7 385W panels...in the winter, on very cloudy days for heat it worked well to have grid-on which frequently resulted in 300W of solar plus 300W of grid power.

With the rising sun angle however, I turned the grid off on March 1, and even on cloudy days (right now for example 50F outside,was raining earlier) it's cranking away on heat at 900W. :)

Spring has been all over the place here, it also was 93F one day already.
can you run the 2 ton 24k on 900 watts

Per the spec I think Heat or Cool says 300W cutoff, but I have found it likes a min of 400W for heat, 300W for cool.

Also noted from spec sheet, it appears "somewhat" more efficient Btu/W on Cooling, but my practical observations are in reality it's NOTICEABLY more efficient on Cooling.

Per the spec I think Heat or Cool says 300W cutoff, but I have found it likes a min of 400W for heat, 300W for cool.

Also noted from spec sheet, it appears "somewhat" more efficient Btu/W on Cooling, but my practical observations are in reality it's NOTICEABLY more efficient on Cooling.
Thx. That makes sense actually

All of my panels have also come from SanTan Solar.
I have 24 of the 250w snail trails, and 80 of the 240w cracked back sheets.
They are all performing exceptionally well.
I don't really expect to get 20 years from the cracked back sheets. But maybe I will get lucky.
My choices were based on what was in stock. For the quantities I needed at the time.

BTW ... How to get free shipping on your SanTan order.

1. Order enough extra to cover the cost of shipping. ie. If you need 10, get 1 or 2 extra for you and then 5-10 more to sell

2. Sell the extra locally for local Pic up. on Craig list or Facebook marketplace

3. Figure in enough on the extra panels to make enough in profit to cover your shipping.

Those are very nice panels 300W+ class becoming available at used or "used" prices. They only had 250W +/- available Nov '22 when I bought unfortunately, so got new...Canadian 385s @ $175 + freight less 30% Gubmint discount

Last edited:
BTW ... How to get free shipping on your SanTan order.

1. Order enough extra to cover the cost of shipping. ie. If you need 10, get 1 or 2 extra for you and then 5-10 more to sell

2. Sell the extra locally for local Pic up. on Craig list or Facebook marketplace

3. Figure in enough on the extra panels to make enough in profit to cover your shipping.
This. Here in KS, there is "SOME" demand, but absolutely ZERO local availability. I should have ordered a whole pallet and sold the extras as described. :love:

SanTan
I just got
- 7 used NEO 335w panels at $89e
- 19 new surplus no warranty REC 370w panels at $155e (I personally love the REC TwinPeak2 panels. I have 18 on my house now. They handle shading better than most do to the design)

I just tested 2 of the NEOs and 1 of the RECs. Both came in over ISC (short circuit amps), and under VOC slightly
Used Neo
- 43v voc (should be 47) but my conditions may not have been perfect. Solar noon, hot, clear to slightly hazy
- ISC was about 11.3 amps, and it was supposed to be 9.8a.
- So Total is over spec

New REC TwinPeak2s
- 43.4 voc (should be 47)
- ISC was about 12.6 amps, and it was supposed to be 10.08a.
- So again ... over spec

All 7 NEO panels look perfect in condition. I only tested 2, but I'll test all 7 before I install them. I got 1 extra. I need 6

I did not dig to the bottom of the stack for the REC because they are new surplus, but the first 3 were in perfect near new condition. Only a few scuffs on the side of the frames. And that is how they were advertised.

To your question, I would avoid, Snail trail, blemished, cracked, dicolored, damaged or cracked backs etc. Stick with either surplus new or good used condition with the 1 year santan warranty. So unless you are mounting in a easy excessable place ... like not on a roof, get surplus new or used. Only get the really cheap ones if you can easy change them out. But get several extra if you want get the cheap

And honestly, now that I have the NEO 335s in hand, I would probably just ordered all 25 as NEOs. All 7 I got were in mint condition. For $89e plus $200 freight you cannot go wrong. They seemed to have a boat load of them too in both locations.

When you open up the Santan Solar Panel page, pick the size group you want (300-399w etc) and then scroll down. Santan seems to list the worse condition ones first.
I really appreciate the response.....am I reading the 24K manual correctly that I need a fuse between the panels and the MIni split?

"The solar photovoltaic system shall be provided with overcurrent protection sized in accordance with the photovoltaic module over current protection rating"

Back