diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX Conundrum

wildbillpdx

Solar Enthusiast
I'm facing an issue with the EG4 6000ex that I hadn't considered when I bought one last summer. After using this for a while it seems logical to me that, for surge and other requirements, I need a second 6000ex. However, as we all know, they've been discontinued. I'm searching for either a used or refurbished one but so far out of luck. I can't afford to rip out the original and replace it with the new 6000XP so I'd like to understand my options, if I have any. I don't think I can use the existing inverter with another brand or model to increase my capacity so I'm probably just out of luck.

Any suggestions?

:cry:

Actually you can. Just have the current one have its own load panel. All the rest of your stuff is then powered by whatever new unit you get.

Actually you can. Just have the current one have its own load panel. All the rest of your stuff is then powered by whatever new unit you get.
Thanks for the suggestion, but doesn't deal with my need for additional surge capacity. I've got a microwave that causes too much surge for one leg of the 6000ex and figure if I have two, I'd get 6000 watts on each leg.

Microwave goes to the next one you buy. I really like low frequency inverters for this very reason :)

Love my tp6048 for this kind of stuff.

Microwave goes to the next one you buy. I really like low frequency inverters for this very reason :)

Love my tp6048 for this kind of stuff.
Still not sure that helps...isn't the 6000xp limited to 3000 watts per leg? Not looking for the bigger model as it's outside my price range.

Buy an SRNE ASF for around the same price... Even better buy 2 HYPs since they can be paralleled or wait until later this year when the ASF parallel version is released.

@Crowz has a great idea adding a separate load panel. You could also put the microwave on a different leg in the current panel.

You could also put the microwave on a different leg in the current panel.
Wouldn't make any difference...the two legs are only lightly loaded now. It's the surge when the microwave starts that's a problem. I also have a 2hp well pump at 600 ft. I haven't tested yet.

1703972872720.png

Its hard to picture a microwave pulling more than 3k. Do you have anyway of measuring it? Clamp meter?

My 3kW EAsun runs my 1000w microwave (1700w running) without a hitch so long as I don't try to use my 2000w hot water tank or water pump. The frig, and other items are on the same circuit.

Possible you might just need a less wattage microwave.

It’s hard to picture a microwave pulling more than 3k. Do you have anyway of measuring it? Clamp meter?
I don’t think it’s pulling 3k but when it starts the usage spikes and grabs utility power to supplement battery and pv. I've got a clamp meter I can use to test.

I don’t think it’s pulling 3k but when it starts the usage spikes and grabs utility power to supplement battery and pv. I've got a clamp meter I can use to test.
This makes me wonder if there is an insufficiency somewhere in your DC bus supplying the inverter. Such things as not enough battery, bad connections or low battery voltage droop and low PV can contribute to the inverter being unable to handle a surge.

Disable overload bypass... Option 06
Is it overloading and shutting down or just bypassing to grid.
My tp6048 would bypass to grid when my well pump kicked on, I turned off overload bypass, problem solved.
Make sure your clamp meter has inrush...
Don’t see how, it’s a split phase 240v system.
Wasn't sure if it has that option just checked the manual, it doesn't. The ASF does.

Just realized that I need a splitter for the outlet to test. Amazon to the rescue...tomorrow.

I bought one off eBay a couple months ago for $1000 shipped ($800+200 shipping) as a spare, but one of my LVX crapped out, so now it is in service. I have a SRNE coming, so it might be spare again once the SRNE arrives.

There is one on eBay right now, but I think it is overpriced. Actually, I think the one I bought was overpriced, but I needed a spare at the time.

I bought one off eBay a couple months ago for $1000 shipped ($800+200 shipping) as a spare, but one of my LVX crapped out, so now it is in service. I have a SRNE coming, so it might be spare again once the SRNE arrives.

There is one on eBay right now, but I think it is overpriced. Actually, I think the one I bought was overpriced, but I needed a spare at the time.

A little skeptical of the seller, only has a 75% rating and it's overpriced. If you include shipping, nearly $1,300. Too bad Signature Solar doesn't have any refurbs...the cost would be about $1,100 with a 2 yr warranty.

Back