diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6000xp with protran transfer switch

Hyde5477

I'm using the eg4 6000xp with a pro tran transfer switch that is connected to 10 circuits on my main home panels. I don't have grid input going into my inverter. My understanding of using a transfer switch means that the system becomes bonded because of the use of the transfer switch because the main panel is bonded. If this is the case, I should disable the bond in the inverter correct? Would this be a safe way to set up this system?

Assuming that this transfer switch panel doesn't switch the neutrals (most don't).
Then yes, the main panel N/G bond is passing through it. So, you do have to disable the second bond in the xp.

Assuming that this transfer switch panel doesn't switch the neutrals (most don't).
Then yes, the main panel N/G bond is passing through it. So, you do have to disable the second bond in the xp.
Interesting, so using a transfer switch gives you the same neutral ground bond that you would get if you used an ac input to the inverter?

Interesting, so using a transfer switch gives you the same neutral ground bond that you would get if you used an ac input to the inverter?
Sometimes.
It depends on how the transfer switch/panel is designed and connected.
If the main panels neutral is bonded. Anything that you connect to it, is bonded.

Can the Reliance be used as a sub panel? Or do all the breakers have to be tied back to the grid individually. I would like to have a 50 amp double pole to the main for “line”, and the 50 amp from my 6000XP for “gen”. The breakers would then feed the load as a sub panel.

I suppose I could join the (10 reliance red return) circuits on buss bars L1 and L2 to a 50 amp double pole. This would eliminate my existing sub panel.

Last edited:
The reliance allows you to switch between grid and generator/inverter for up to 10 circuits. It’s not a sub panel.

Sometimes.
It depends on how the transfer switch/panel is designed and connected.
If the main panels neutral is bonded. Anything that you connect to it, is bonded.
The pro tran transfer switch doesn’t touch the neutral or ground - just connects the neutral and ground inputs directly to the main panel. In my case, I already have the neutral and ground lines connected from the main panel to my 6000xp’s as part of the grid input connections, so I didn’t bother to run another set of neutrals and grounds to the transfer switch input - not only to save money on more wire but also to avoid creating neutral and ground loops. @timselectric - do you agree or should I have included the neutral and ground wires in the transfer switch inputs?

In my case, I already have the neutral and ground lines connected from the main panel to my 6000xp’s as part of the grid input connections, so I didn’t bother to run another set of neutrals and grounds to the transfer switch input -
This could be a problem. If the 6kxp switches off the grid input (if that includes the neutral). Then you would have no neutral to your loads.
Loss of neutral is a bad thing for split-phase systems.
All of the 120v loads try to balance across the 240v.
The smaller loads of one leg will fry. Trying to carry the larger loads of the other leg.

This could be a problem. If the 6kxp switches off the grid input (if that includes the neutral). Then you would have no neutral to your loads.
Loss of neutral is a bad thing for split-phase systems.
All of the 120v loads try to balance across the 240v.
The smaller loads of one leg will fry. Trying to carry the larger loads of the other leg.
The 6kxp’s ”Grid“ ground and neutrals land on the ground and neutral bus bars. Only the two hots are on the breaker. So even if the “Grid” breaker on the front of the inverter trips (or is manually turned off) the loads still have a physical connection to the main panels N-G bond. At least that’s the way I see it - tested with a multimeter.

The 6kxp’s ”Grid“ ground and neutrals land on the ground and neutral bus bars. Only the two hots are on the breaker. So even if the “Grid” breaker on the front of the inverter trips (or is manually turned off) the loads still have a physical connection to the main panels N-G bond. At least that’s the way I see it - tested with a multimeter.
Yup
I forgot that the 6kxp is a common neutral setup.
But not having the grid input neutral to the transfer panel, is still not what I would recommend.
If you were to switch all loads to grid. And think that it's safe to work on the inverter. You would be in for a surprise.
Sometimes a loop is unavoidable. When you consider safety.

Yup
I forgot that the 6kxp is a common neutral setup.
But not having the grid input neutral to the transfer panel, is still not what I would recommend.
If you were to switch all loads to grid. And think that it's safe to work on the inverter. You would be in for a surprise.
Sometimes a loop is unavoidable. When you consider safety.
The ground and neutral lines going into the Pro Tran transfer switch literally connect to absolutely nothing - they just connect to the ground and neutral wires that go right out to the main panel (other than the ground has a pigtail connection to the transfer switch case). If I ran another neutral and ground wire from the 6000XP's to the transfer switch it would simply create a second set of wires going from the ground and neutral bus bars on the 6000XP and ultimately to the main panel - same as the pair that are already connected directly between the main panel and the bus bars in the inverter, so in this case the only thing it would accomplish would be to have 2 neutrals and 2 grounds going from the bus bars in the inverter to the main panel - well one pair would go through the transfer switch box but connect to literally nothing other than to go right back out to the main panel. I'm pretty sure I'm good with the just one pair - a second pair would just add a second set of wires making all the same connections. I will still connect the ground wire going from the transfer switch to the main panel to ground the enclosure. The switches in the transfer switch only touch the hots.

@timselectric - does that clear things up? Any concerns?

I'm using the eg4 6000xp with a pro tran transfer switch that is connected to 10 circuits on my main home panels. I don't have grid input going into my inverter. My understanding of using a transfer switch means that the system becomes bonded because of the use of the transfer switch because the main panel is bonded. If this is the case, I should disable the bond in the inverter correct? Would this be a safe way to set up this system?
Maybe you should read this recent post. The Pro Tran is designed for temporary power use only.

Back