diy solar

diy solar

EG4 AC Coupling Fronius

So this is the stuff you want to spit nails at Signature Solar when you spend $30K. I turned on Power Backup, as a bad weather and possible tornados are headed to my home and my wife is alone, while I'm traveling for business. I get to my destination and look, and my batteries are drained to 39%. WTF? So I turned on AC Charge to make sure before the storm hits in about an hour, that if power is knocked down, she'll have power...One of the main reason I bought all this stuff. And AC Charge will not turn on. I reverse the direction of the CT and boom, I'm charging. I put them in with the arrows going back to the inverter. There's some crazy tricks to the setup in this thing that need better explanation. Maybe SS can weigh in come Monday, and pray I don't lose power.

1714358097205.png

So this is the stuff you want to spit nails at Signature Solar when you spend $30K. I turned on Power Backup, as a bad weather and possible tornados are headed to my home and my wife is alone, while I'm traveling for business. I get to my destination and look, and my batteries are drained to 39%. WTF? So I turned on AC Charge to make sure before the storm hits in about an hour, that if power is knocked down, she'll have power...One of the main reason I bought all this stuff. And AC Charge will not turn on. I reverse the direction of the CT and boom, I'm charging. I put them in with the arrows going back to the inverter. There's some crazy tricks to the setup in this thing that need better explanation. Maybe SS can weigh in come Monday, and pray I don't lose power.

View attachment 212135
Oh boy!

I wonder if the reversed CTs is the source of the ac cooking not working.

They were attached to the main panel originally. If you look at those pictures, you’ll see that they were on the main grid panel 30 amp breakers when I turned them on the 18 K started having weird issues. It was like the CT were minimizing solar and was not maximizing its output.

If Fronius GT PV is feeding current to grid, EG4 sees that and may want to adjust its current to hit a desired value.

If you were to snake the Fronius AC wires through the CT so current on Fronius wire pass in the Meter --> breaker panel direction, it's current would then then go through branch breaker, land on main panel, go back opposite direction through CT, cancelling itself. Fronius current becomes invisible to EG4, just as if it landed on grid side of CT instead of breaker panel side.

View attachment 212135
Could you DM me your name and email address? I’d like to have our support reach out to you and make sure this gets this taken care of.

Last edited:
Yeah, something isn't right at the basic level with the EG4's. I turned off Grid AC Charge to charge the batteries from PV not charging the batteries which are at 23%. Granted it's still early but the PV power generated should be flowing to the batteries...

1714401401853.png

I wonder if I reverse the CT's again whether it would start, but I'm not. I need someone from SS who actually understands this equipment to instruct me on the commissioning.

Yeah, something isn't right at the basic level with the EG4's. I turned off Grid AC Charge to charge the batteries from PV not charging the batteries which are at 23%. Granted it's still early but the PV power generated should be flowing to the batteries...

View attachment 212188

I wonder if I reverse the CT's again whether it would start, but I'm not. I need someone from SS who actually understands this equipment to instruct me on the commissioning.
Looks like there is more load than pv power?

So the pv power is going directly to the loads, plus some from the grid. That's what it looks like to me

Looks like there is more load than pv power?

So the pv power is going directly to the loads, plus some from the grid. That's what it looks like to me
Agreed. For some reason I had it in my mind that batteries were charged up front, but my mistake.

So the EG4 and SS team are looking into it now. It's got to be a CT/settings issue. My house is not consuming 9kW...

1714411970476.png

Now I only wired up 1 set of the CT's and not to both inverters. I wired mine here, (I don't have a fused disconnect for the PV's going into the main disconnect breaker.)

1714412527381.png

So for everyone to understand what happened, and the great @EG4_Jared can correct my explanation, he effectively reset both inverters to default to clear the settings and start over. The relays were somehow hung and not turning on for the GEN port, but when he did the reset, they came right up. Jared then began to change the respective settings. I've attached an export of the pdf from the inverter for anyone else to learn.

So the ole saying...when all else fails, "Turn it Off/On". ;)

Special thanks to @EG4_Jared and @SignatureSolarJess for their helping me through this frustration.

Attachments

• Remote_Set_3162670346.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • Remote_Set_3162670391.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
So for everyone to understand what happened, and the great @EG4_Jared can correct my explanation, he effectively reset both inverters to default to clear the settings and start over. The relays were somehow hung and not turning on for the GEN port, but when he did the reset, they came right up. Jared then began to change the respective settings. I've attached an export of the pdf from the inverter for anyone else to learn.

So the ole saying...when all else fails, "Turn it Off/On". ;)

Special thanks to @EG4_Jared and @SignatureSolarJess for their helping me through this frustration.
Hey glad you're up and running! Thanks for posting the settings.

Have the CTs been reversed back?

Just sent a PM, sorry, I have not been on the forums in a couple weeks.

Aaand just read the thread, obviously ignore my PM. Glad you are up and running.

Back