diy solar

diy solar

EG4 chargeverter Safety issue. Positive battery cable not Homed…

Hiconor

The issue I had is with the Chargeverter from EG4 I picked it up by the positives and negative battery cables on the battery side of the charger and the positive battery wire came straight of the unit, with no effort at all other than being under its own weight, this time bomb was brand new out off the box....,.

On Further investigation I took the cover off, reinserted the positive cable back into the circuit breaker, where it had come from and tighten it down..

And if my recollection serves me correctly, this is the only cable strain relief point for the positive battery cable gland as there is nothing inside the unit by the breaker terminal. Consequently, the positive cable is relying solely in the pinch of the cable gland not to be ripped out of the unit completely or some other method of it ejecting itself overtime….Is a cable glands considered adequate for this purpose, considering the high current that is present in the DC side of the operation.., has anybody else observed this wiggle potential?

First time posty l, please correct me if I am in the the wrong place so I can make effort to correct. Our man Will ask me to repost this comment that i brought too his attention this morning via his channel…

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

You should tag @Will Prowse so he sees your thread.

As far as the issue, my advice would be to add cable glands if it makes you feel better but don't transport electronic devices by the wires in the first place.
With my screwy logic I actually like this being a weak point... I'd rather have the cable pull out of the disconnect than rip something else apart; as long as the connection is good enough to have low resistance in the first place.

Ps photos would be helpful too.

Thanks for your input. I will be sure to follow a more practical approach to handling peripherals with the respect they deserve !! (best practice techniques) . Also will post photos of the suspect when I arrive on site and of this week.

I posted this Occurrence in reaction to @Will Prowse s video on the hazards of wiggle potential in a solar PV, system,. I do believe these types of errors would be a very commonly made by first/time/short time DIY solar enthusiast.

I would Very encouraged if our man @Will Prowse did a recap on potentially disastrous errors, commonly made the self-taught army of DIY solar installers. I’m sure the same mistakes are being made over and over by folks, for example, when I was helping a friend out this week, to troubleshooting his system , I noticed one of his battery cables was longer than the others in the battery bank (3p 12v 100ah, LifePo4, 6” 0/4 battery cable) , which I believe was the source source of the problem, coupled with the fact that one battery cable was loose in the loop and not torqued down at all on the terminals, (ouch)…which was causing the inverter to shut down ….. if you can @Will Prowse put together a video on the small but essential detail orientated best practices of‘must do’s’ when installing a complete system from the ground up . if you have already compile such video, please ping us the link..

Back