diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower4 BMS disables battery output after ~10 minutes.

Bustermaine

I haven't downloaded and run EG4s BMS-TEST,exe yet so any pointers for using will be appreciated.

I'm trying to setup a backup to keep an aquarium pump running for several days in the event of a power failure. I've set up two EG4 Lifepower4 48 volt batteries connected to a Victron Phoenix 48/1200 invertor to run a 50 watt pump and 300 watt heater when power is lost. Power is switched with a automatic transfer switch, The problem I'm running is If there isn't a load on the inverter the BMS dissables the battery output and the circuit breakers have to be reset to enable power out. What am I missing using the EG4 batteries?

Also, I have a Litime 10a battery charger on a timer to periodcily recharge the batteries. One limitation is all the aquarium equipment and batteries are on a single 20 amp circuit.

Signature solar does respond, but it can take them a couple weeks to respond by email sometimes. You can call during business hours to try to reach them.

How are you charging the battery? It may be out of balance and shutting down for a low cell alarm or something. A good long full charge for hours should fix that.

You need to break out the test software AND a good multimeter and start collecting some actual data.

You should not need a charger on a timer if these are for emergency backup. The LFP batteries should keep the charge for months before needing to be topped up.

What settings are you using on the Victron and do you have a model that will let you watch the system via Bluetooth?

You will need an RS485 To USB Converter plugged into one of the RS485 ports on the battery.
BMS Test Software

If the inverter has a VE.Direct communications port you can purchase a VE.Direct to USB cable (Amazon has them) and download the software from the Victron website.

The EG4 batteries will enter sleep/standby mode if there is no power being drawn from the battery. You may need to consider running the inverter all the time with the charger periodically charging the batteries.

Are both EG4 batteries connected via the communications port and are the dip switches on one set to 0 placing it in "Master/Host" mode.
I don't know if the batteries will stay out of sleep/standby if the Master is constantly communicating with the slave. Also don't know if you leave the BMS_Test software running if it will keep the batteries out of standby/sleep.

The BMS_Tools software will also allow you to see what version firmware is installed in the batteries. You can download the latest from the EG4 website and update the firmware as well.

Just ask Signature Solar these questions.

@SignatureSolarJess

Back