diy solar

diy solar

EG4 PowerPro vertical stacking?

TOU47

Solar Enthusiast
I apologize if this had been discussed but have not seen this question addressed in my searches.

I have just one currently, but in the end, I plan to have atleast 3 PowerPros. At nearly 310#, 35"x22.3"x9.1", the EG4 PowerPros are very stout batteries to say the least. With them being nearly 3' tall they will likely take up more valuable wall space in my utility room than I'd like. However, with having 12' walls I'm wondering if they're is a better rather than horizontally dispersing. I.E. Stacking then vertically on top of each other 2-3 high.

Has anyone done this? Is it an acceptable option? Obviously this would also necessitate their being stabilized from tipping. Just curious... thx in advance.

I looked at putting them vertically on a wall, but then the battery leads start getting really long. I think I’m going to start with mounting one on the wall with the conduit box on top of that and the inverter on top of the conduit box, and then stack two additional batteries upright on the floor in front of the first one. It seems to be perfectly reasonable to do it that way, though I have not yet figured out how to make all the wiring come out perfectly, and maybe mechanically tie the batteries together for stability. Not even convinced they would be unstable.

First thought?
Staking would make longer cable runs and unequal.
Why just not mount all three up high horizontally?

I meant horizontally up high , like 9 feet high as to not utilize valuable lower space.
Aren’t there recommendations (in which case if you need to be UL listed, you might have to follow) about clearance above each battery? Plus now your battery leads are 9 feet longer than they would otherwise be, so you are making your own leads, which involves buying the connectors and the crimp tool and 4/0 welding wire at five bucks a foot. not an awful idea if you have 15 foot ceilings, but it seems like the implementation might be more difficult than it sounds. I don’t even want to lift them an inch or two off the floor in order to put them at floor level, much less 9 feet up.

The only UL/NEC inspected etc approved way is side by side with 12" between them.
A good alternative is in front of each other...I would do this except I need inspections.

I meant horizontally up high , like 9 feet high as to not utilize valuable lower space.
Gotcha, that is an interesting idea but nearly 310# a piece is a bit concerning to mount & then to have hanging there X3-4.

I was thinking more of having them stacked on top of each other. The first question is can the one under take the weight of the one above. Next, as others noteisif they're is wiring concerns.

The only UL/NEC inspected etc approved way is side by side with 12" between them.
A good alternative is in front of each other...I would do this except I need inspections.
12" between is totally doable. I'm just hoping to stack one on top of another.

Aren’t there recommendations (in which case if you need to be UL listed, you might have to follow) about clearance above each battery? Plus now your battery leads are 9 feet longer than they would otherwise be, so you are making your own leads, which involves buying the connectors and the crimp tool and 4/0 welding wire at five bucks a foot. not an awful idea if you have 15 foot ceilings, but it seems like the implementation might be more difficult than it sounds. I don’t even want to lift them an inch or two off the floor in order to put them at floor level, much less 9 feet up.
Thank you. There are no inspections, besides septic, where I live so code is pretty irrelevant for me. However, safety & hence insurance coverage is.

Any extra cost of wire is also a concern for sure...I do already have the cold crimping tool. I think I'm just going to have see how it fits when the time comes.

I was kinda hoping @EG4_Jared might jump into the conversation regarding stacking 2.

Last edited:
In this case then, front to back stacking is going to be your best bet. It's easy for your cabling too.
This is my plan, the only issue I have is how to run the DC wires between the units. Is there an option to keep them all in conduit, or am I going to be left with exposed (insulated) wires that rats can chew on?

This is my plan, the only issue I have is how to run the DC wires between the units. Is there an option to keep them all in conduit, or am I going to be left with exposed (insulated) wires that rats can chew on?
1710719476867.png

This is what I settled on. It aint pretty but it works.

I will likely get some conduit runs from the battery junction boxes to tidy things up and add a bit of security.

I can but it's a bit of a squeeze. I can wiggle the front battery forward a few inches to get more play room.
Just brainstorming here, as I haven’t seen my batteries yet: could you use two conduit boxes across the tops of two batteries (one for positive, one for negative), to make them easier to open?

I apologize if this had been discussed but have not seen this question addressed in my searches.

I have just one currently, but in the end, I plan to have atleast 3 PowerPros. At nearly 310#, 35"x22.3"x9.1", the EG4 PowerPros are very stout batteries to say the least. With them being nearly 3' tall they will likely take up more valuable wall space in my utility room than I'd like. However, with having 12' walls I'm wondering if they're is a better rather than horizontally dispersing. I.E. Stacking then vertically on top of each other 2-3 high.

Has anyone done this? Is it an acceptable option? Obviously this would also necessitate their being stabilized from tipping. Just curious... thx in advance.

Stacking the WallMount batteries on top of each other is not advisable due to their weight, each weighing 308 pounds. If necessary, ensure there is sufficient space between each battery and provide support to prevent the weight from resting directly on the batteries.

Stacking the WallMount batteries on top of each other is not advisable due to their weight, each weighing 308 pounds. If necessary, ensure there is sufficient space between each battery and provide support to prevent the weight from resting directly on the batteries.
That was what I was looking to find out @EG4_Jared . Thank you for weighing in.

Hmmm... thinking about this a bit more. I think they're needs to be some kind of framed/case that allows you to stack one above the other & still maintain spacing. Preferably with a conduit wiring box that opens in the front & back etc.

Back