diy solar

diy solar

Expected voltage reading on charge controller terminal screws?

The panel came with warranty as follows:
Product warranty
5 years
Warranty on output
80% 25 years

How do I stand with that? Bought February this year

Depedns who you bought it through really, if it's by with paypal , eBay, amazon or on your credit card , you're on to a winner, you'll get your money back

Otherwise it might be more challenging

They might even try claim the warranty is VOID because item wasn't installed by qualified electrician

Last edited:
Depedns who you bought it through really, if it's to do with paypal , eBay, amazon or on your credit card , you're on to a winner, you'll get your money back

Otherwise it might be more challenging

They might even claim the warranty is VOID because item wasn't installed by qualified electrician
Credit card, just checked the statements. Getting it off the roof to return may prove a challenge though.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to my plea for help.

Credit card, just checked the statements. Getting it off the roof to return may prove a challenge though.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to my plea for help.

Come back if you need any help with sizing the new equipment ?

@SamG340 @mikefitz
One final question if you don't mind? Is it common, possible or implausible for a panel to fail totally, as in not producing any amps, but still registering very close to the panel's stated Voc?
Did one final test yesterday at 3 pm in full sun and got 36.8 volts (37.4 on data sheet) but 0.0 amps

Did one final test yesterday at 3 pm in full sun and got 36.8 volts (37.4 on data sheet) but 0.0 amps

Depends on how the test was done

37v looks like open circuit voltage, no charge controller attached to the panel correct? In this case you would never see amps , even in a working panel you'll only actually see amps when there is somewhere for the power to go

Is it common, possible or implausible for a panel to fail totally,

Is it possible for a panel to completely fail .... yes, it's especially common with flexipanels...

But actually, in fact, 100% of all solar panels will one day eventually fail. So it's not just common, it's inevitable !

Is it possible for a panel to completely fail .... yes, it's especially common with flexipanels...

But actually, in fact, 100% of all solar panels will one day eventually fail. So it's not just common, it's inevitable !
I meant fail but still producing full Voc

Yes i think it's possible , others might be able to help more on that

Thanks for the link. I read that very article, and many others, when I first noticed the issue. It lead me to first buy a better crimping tool and replace the original MC4 connectors I had crimped with a very basic tool.
When that didn't make any difference I purchased solar cable with pre-crimped MC4s, again same result.

Mikefitz then suggested connecting the panel straight to the battery as a short term test of the panel, which you know led to the consensus that the panel is faulty which I know believe is the case. I just can't get my head around the full Voc bit

Next stop, the panel vendor.

Back