diy solar

diy solar

Full time RVer sanity check of planned system components.

chuckjob

I have little time left for research and weeding through forumns so hoping I am not violating policy but…..

My current Travel Trailer setup
1- 12v 200Ah Amperetime battery
1- Aimspower 12v 3000A pure sine inverter charger.
I split the hot side of the rv panel so that the inverter powered only the microwave, and the outlets for 2 tv’s/starlink/laptop/2-19inch monitors, and converter for 12v rv systems.
The refer, fireplace, small outdoor freezer, and AC only have power when on shore power or generator.

I would either like to add another inverter/charger that could synch with existing to double the rated output to 6kW continuous, or continue with split panels and if my current inverter will not synch, or buy one new 6kW inverter/charger put the panel back to factory, and use current battery and inverter for portable power.

I also want to buy:
4-12v 300Ah batteris ( or as many as is needed to support my inverter load)
8-Bouge RV Yuma CIGS 200watt flexible solar panels (or as many as is needed to meet my full time RV living, given that I winter in parker AZ, and summer in the notthwest.

I would appreciate any advise as far as whether to stay 12v or go 24v system, the number of solar panels needed (given brand/type is not changeable), voltage and number of batteries (brand is not changeable)

Lastly, anybody willing to provide a schematic and list of charge controllers, fusing, cabling etc, would be very appreciated.
Funds will be in hand june 15 and I need to be on the road ASAP as its getting HOT

1715893122426.jpeg

The roof space on RV’s is limited- can you physically fit eight of those 200w panels on your roof???

For a solar charge controller - assuming eight 200w panels and 12v system - I would use two arrays four going into a Victron mppt 100/50 - probably as 2s2p. And the other four going into another Victron 100/50.

I don’t know the specs on those panels- if you post the specs I can verify they will work with no issues.

One issue I see is you have not defined your loads…

1600w of solar is a lot - but at times it may not be enough…. I have a 36’ MotorHome w1400w of solar - a 544ah lithium diy battery and a Victron 12/3000 Multiplus inverter/charger.

We have all the power we need (we usually boondock), unless it is winter (short days-low sun), or we have trees or clouds. We can tilt in the winter. You will need a generator sometimes.

For RV’s I highly recommend the Victron Multiplus. Either the Multiplus II 2x120v for 50a RV’s or just a Multiplus II for 30a RV’s.

Yes that inverter is more expensive- but in the RV world it is worth it. It has a large battery charger built in - less generator time. And the Power Assist feature is priceless. Saved us a lot of issues in Baja last winter.

I’d l like to see a kWh requirement.

For reference living in AZ myself, flat panels on an RV ROOF get two times their wattage rating in Wh on the shortest day of the year, and three times at the Equinox.

For a build list, you can look at my RV builds in my signature box.

6K is a LOT of output, so I'd start by figuring out how much you actually need. Cutting down consumption is always the most economical path, so double check your loads. Running high capacity inverters will usually mean you have high standby losses which draw down your battery bank regardless of load.

If you are adding an inverter, and keeping the old gear, then I'd go 48v. You will get lower standby losses, less cabling required and a better chance of keeping up with high amp loads.

CIGS panels just wont last, especially with the sun loads you will have, I'd highly recommend using standard panels instead.

CIGS panels just wont last, especially with the sun loads you will have, I'd highly recommend using standard panels instead.
Was under the impression bougue Rv CIGs were good, just a different company had. The delaminating problem.,

Back