diy solar

diy solar

Fuse on battery

Dicey2024

Can I do this?

2 - 200ah batteries in parallel. This is a 400amp fuse. I will be attaching with a bolt, nut, washer to a red 4/0 cable to a 400amp bus bar. (Picture is just for example it will be a red wire 4/0 right now it’s 1/0 and is for a different part of my system)

Does it matter what kind of bolts, nuts, washer I use?
This is what I have.

5/16-18 x 1-1/4" Hex Head Screw Bolt, Nuts, Flat & Lock Washers, 10Pcs 18-8 (304) Stainless Steel, Fully Threaded, Black Oxide by SG TZH​

image.jpgimage.jpg

I prefer Stainless bolts and washers but it is the connection between the lug and battery where the current is transferred. I do not know what kind of fuse that is, but I prefer a Class T fuse because they are surrounded by arc suppressing powder which reduces the likelihood of a high amperage arc fusing the fuse. I am not sure "fusing the fuse" is the correct term but under high current some inexpensive fuses can have the conductors fuse or weld together, which could eliminate the protection which that kind of fuse is supposed to provide protection against.

I have seen those fuses come apart when they get hot. They should only be used with the correct fuse holder.

An MRBF fuse and holder bolted to the battery terminal would be more appropriate.
If I use the fuse holder would it work?

2 200ah batteries in parellel
I bought that fuse holder with 300amp fuse
That still doesn't tell us the voltage. Or if this is your main battery fuse.

You can use MRBF for a 24 volt system. You should use Class T fuse for 48 volt system.

Lots of folks here have 48 volt systems. I have a 24 volt system. You?

Can I do this?

2 - 200ah batteries in parallel. This is a 400amp fuse. I will be attaching with a bolt, nut, washer to a red 4/0 cable to a 400amp bus bar. (Picture is just for example it will be a red wire 4/0 right now it’s 1/0 and is for a different part of my system)

Does it matter what kind of bolts, nuts, washer I use?
This is what I have.

5/16-18 x 1-1/4" Hex Head Screw Bolt, Nuts, Flat & Lock Washers, 10Pcs 18-8 (304) Stainless Steel, Fully Threaded, Black Oxide by SG TZH​

View attachment 190432View attachment 190431

Absolutely do not do this.

That still doesn't tell us the voltage. Or if this is your main battery fuse.

You can use MRBF for a 24 volt system. You should use Class T fuse for 48 volt system.

Lots of folks here have 48 volt systems. I have a 24 volt system. You?
Sorry 12v

Back