diy solar

diy solar

GFI trips on inverter when trying to power my trailer AC panel with Renogy New Edition Inverter

Aikalowych

I have a Renogy 2000W PSW Inverter directly wired to my trailer AC distribution panel through a transfer switch. When shore power is cut and the TS switches to inverter power, the inverter immediately trips and the yellow GF fault light comes on. The inverter itself works perfectly for any appliance I plug into the AC outlets, however, using the hardwired AC terminals to feed power to my trailer AC distribution panel causes this issue. The issue also was present when just trying to plug my shore power cord into the inverter.

I believe my issue is stemming from the lack of neutral ground bonding within my trailer and the inverter (though I'm not positive). The inverter is this 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter with Power Saving Mode (New Edition) and here is the manual for it. This new edition inverter specifically states that the NG is unbonded (unlike their previous inverters) and to not bond them. I am at a loss as to how I would resolve this issue because I need the inverter to power my AC panel within the trailer and the GF keeps tripping. I even sent the inverter back to Renogy and they claimed they tested it and even tried to model my system in their tests and they're saying it works perfectly. I've been racking my brain and reading so many different forums to try and figure this out but I haven't come across any solutions. Please help!!!

You've completely explored these options?

1714688182505.png

With everything off, what is the resistance between N and G in your AC panel?

If your trailer has other GFCI outlets, try tripping them via the test button (shuts them off) and see if it changes the behavior of the inverter.

IMHO, the real solution is to get a quality inverter/charger that properly handles N-G bonding.

Thanks for the reply! Yes I have explored those options as Im using the AC terminal block on the inverter. I even disconnected the GFCI outlets from the panel by shutting off the GFCI circuit breaker and disconnecting the neutral line of that circuit from the neutral bus bar.

I’m not sure what the resistance between N and G is in my AC panel, though when I checked I did not have continuity between them so I assume it’s infinite.

Another thing about this inverter is that they have a floating neutral? I believe is the term where neutral and hot are both powered at 60V offset to create the 120V power so I’m also not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I do agree that if I did this over I would go with a more expensive unit that doesn’t have these issues.

Back