diy solar

diy solar

Goal Zero Yeti Owners - Unit resetting during charging?

DaPhatty

I recently picked up a Goal Zero Yeti 1000X for emergency use purposes and have been putting it through its paces. Earlier today, I noticed that during charging, the Yeti would seemingly "reset" itself. Specifically, the display shows incoming Input Wattage (from solar or AC) and then suddenly drops to zero for a few seconds before spiking back up.

I initially noticed this behavior when connecting a couple of solar panels to charge up the Yeti. At the time, the Yeti was at a 45% SoC so it seemed like the perfect time of the day to test out solar charging. Yet when I noticed the power fluctuation on the display, I was puzzled. I tinkered with the cabling a bit, disconnecting and reconnecting everything for good measure. I ultimately dismissed my observation as user error since the behavior seemed to correct itself once I got everything reconnected.

A few hours later, the solar panels had charged the Yeti from 45% SoC to 98% SoC. The sun had reached its low point for the day so I decided to top off the Yeti using the base model AC charger, just to get that last two percent. This is where things went haywire. They Yeti immediately began resetting itself over and over. The display would briefly show ~30 Watts of Input before jumping back down to zero. I tried powering off the Yeti and disconnecting/reconnecting the power supply to no avail.

I've previously been able to charge this unit to 100% so I find it odd that suddenly things aren't working quite right. Has anyone else seen this behavior? For context, at no point during any of this was the Yeti providing power to any connected devices. The Yeti was simply recharging.

I have the 1000X and haven't experienced this myself. Mine just went through a serious usage test this weekend when we lost power for a whole day.

I too have a 1000X and my unit will indicate on the face plate a decrease and then increase in charge wattage but I believe it is the mppt charge controller that is doing that. Sometimes I will disconnect my solar array, using the hpp power plug. and plug it back in and that adjusts the incoming wattage from my solar array. I also hardly ever fully charge my unit to 100%, I just charge it up to 87% and discharge to 17% this will increase the cycle life of the 1000X. The goal zero info says the 1000X is good for 500 cycles, from full to empty. The info from the battery university indicates that the life span of the linmc battery can be doubled by charging it up to 85% and doubled again if only discharged to 15 or 17%. I hope this is true due to the price point of the yeti 1000X. I must say I am very pleased with my yeti 1000X. I have had my 500X for about 2 1/2 years now and I use it daily for various things. I only charge it up to 87% and avoid any discharge below 17%. I hope to get another 2 or maybe even 3 years out of my 500X.I hope my comments have been of some help.

Back