diy solar

diy solar

Going on 3 month vacation

wkyongae

Going on 3 month vacation and wondering how I should store my 24 volt batteries. Eight flooded lead acid batteries, four in series the parrelled. Do I need to leave my Flexmax 80 on, limit the bulk. Or just turn everything off by turning all breakers off.

Fully charged. Then disconnect. They lose something like 3% a month? Unless it gets way cold. There are state of charge and freeze charts out there.

I’d double check the rate of discharge for your particular batteries. But something like that.

Trojan J305P-AC That are very lightly used never discharged below 75%. Well maintained

What I've personally found is from fully filled, I get about 3 months between fillings. So, if you are watching with a flash-light, and fill right up to the brim, you will be OK. But, refilling will be the very first job you do once you arrive back.

For an added level of security, you could temporarily lower your maximum charging voltage, which will have the tendency to consume less water. So, if your charge voltage is 29.6V, decrease that to 28.8V. You can then ratchet the voltage back up once you return.

What I've personally found is from fully filled, I get about 3 months between fillings. So, if you are watching with a flash-light, and fill right up to the brim, you will be OK. But, refilling will be the very first job you do once you arrive back.

For an added level of security, you could temporarily lower your maximum charging voltage, which will have the tendency to consume less water. So, if your charge voltage is 29.6V, decrease that to 28.8V. You can then ratchet the voltage back up once you return.
Just curious why you run your float voltage so high. Trojan recommends 27.2v at 29.6v my batteries are starting to gas. But anyway I I think your saying leave the charge controller on.

Eight flooded lead acid batteries, four in series the parrelled. Do I need to leave my Flexmax 80 on, limit the bulk. Or just turn everything off by turning all breakers off.
Congrats on getting a 3-month vacation!

Turning that bulk down would be fine but shutting everything off is also fine. Just be sure it's everything, I might even remove the battery cables going to my power center just to make sure. Believe or not something as simple as a battery monitor can drain your batteries to empty over that period of time.

Congrats on getting a 3-month vacation!

Turning that bulk down would be fine but shutting everything off is also fine. Just be sure it's everything, I might even remove the battery cables going to my power center just to make sure. Believe or not something as simple as a battery monitor can drain your batteries to empty over that period of time.
Remote living, equals early retirement, equals full retirement in June, equals freedom. Really though I work harder now then I ever did when I worked for a living. Off grid living is hard work when you add in farm life. But, yes I would turn off all equipment and flip every breaker off. And thanks ?

Last edited:
Remote living, equals early retirement, equals full retirement in June, equals freedom. Really though I work harder now then I ever did when I worked for a living. Off grid living is hard work when you add in farm life. But, yes I would turn off all equipment and flip every breaker off.
I agree! Don't ever retire! I'm semi-retired (I get tagged for some consulting work a few hours a week) to our ranch and I work way harder than before I shut down my business and actually made money. :unsure:

But I love it so there's that. ?

I agree! Don't ever retire! I'm semi-retired (I get tagged for some consulting work a few hours a week) to our ranch and I work way harder than before I shut down my business and actually made money. :unsure:

But I love it so there's that. ?
My dad once told me when I asked him when he was going to retire. He said retire from what, when you're doing what you like there is nothing to retire from. So for me, I get to draw social security in August and that's about all retirement means. Otherwise I do what I want when I want how I want.

Just curious why you run your float voltage so high. Trojan recommends 27.2v at 29.6v my batteries are starting to gas. But anyway I I think your saying leave the charge controller on.
That's not the float setting. That's bulk. My float voltage is 27.0V. Yes, reduce your bulk voltage slightly, and leave the controller on after completely filling the batteries with distilled water.

Ohh, okay I never use my bulk on the charge controller. Instead I use my inverter when on generator every morning. It has a three stage charge cycle. Or don't worry about bulk as I never pull my batteries down anyway. When system is not in use I shut it down. If when we get up I just turn the system on to float as it is usually around 26v static. If I need electricity in the morning I just go on generator. Cheaper this way then more batteries. It's only a 2000watt inverter generator capable of running our intire house at 25% load. In hind sight almost wish I had bought three of these little Yamaha generators version 1. Would have been cheaper in the five year battery scheme of things. Most people think ya need 24\7 electricity you really don't. Twelve hours is plenty to keep a refrigerator and freezers happy.

I never turn my charge controller off. It hasnt been off since 2017 for that matter. It maintains my 24V Trojan L-16 bank at my cabin. I only turn off my inverter when gone. Using factory charge settings on the victron 100/30.

You are fine to leave the Flexmax charge controller on. It should automatically go into float and stay there. Are you manually switching between charge stages?

You wont lose water if you arent cycling the batteries. I typically service my batteries 3 times a year (spring - summer - fall) i maybe use 1 gallon between 4 batteries each time. The plates have never been exposed when checking.

Back