diy solar

diy solar

Got the EG4 XP up and running! Need some help lol

Lowest light is steady illuminated, the next one up, “cloud” light is blinking
That is a good clue.
The cloud blinking means it may be a server problem. That would be EG4s problem i think.
Solid first light means it can see wifi and is connected to wifi

I do suppose however this may mean that it is connected to wifi but doesnt see internet.

The EG4 app gets its info from the servers, not your devise.
Your device only communicates with EG4 servers. The eg4 app takes the data from the servers.

Please forgive me if this is all old news. lol

Last edited:
This is also good info for EG4_Jared
Not at all. I REALLY appreciate the input and help. I’ve been pulling my hair out since getting this thing setup trying to figure it out and I think I’m on the right track now lol.

I’d really like to just get this thing finalized so I can move onto the next part, a new battery setup lol.

Not at all. I REALLY appreciate the input and help. I’ve been pulling my hair out since getting this thing setup trying to figure it out and I think I’m on the right track now lol.

I’d really like to just get this thing finalized so I can move onto the next part, a new battery setup lol.
Totally understandable! I just hope you enjoy the 6000xp.
For instance, Im in Wi, we had a nasty wet heavy snow storm 2 days ago.

When the weather reports said there will be a good chance of downed trees and power outages, I logged into the 6000xp software from work and started AC charging my batteries just in case. No, my power didnt go out, but 2 blocks south and 2 blocks north it did.

Totally understandable! I just hope you enjoy the 6000xp.
For instance, Im in Wi, we had a nasty wet heavy snow storm 2 days ago.

When the weather reports said there will be a good chance of downed trees and power outages, I logged into the 6000xp software from work and started AC charging my batteries just in case. No, my power didnt go out, but 2 blocks south and 2 blocks north it did.
It seems like a solid unit. I’m looking forward to upgrading to LiFePo with BMS so it can talk directly.

My AGM’s are at 52.50v right now and it’s saying I’m at 79% SOC but Victron BMS is reporting 100%.

That’s a little annoying with AGM batteries but overall it seems decent. I’m looking forward to getting it to connect properly and fine tuning the settings

Btw. the dongle: does EG4 require a 2.4ghz SSID to connect to as many other brands or will it work with 5ghz?
Could this be the issue?

Btw. the dongle: does EG4 require a 2.4ghz SSID to connect to as many other brands or will it work with 5ghz?
Could this be the issue?
It does require 2.4Ghz. I initially connected with my 5G but during troubleshooting on here realized that may have been the issue.

I’ve since gotten a new router, run only 2.4Ghz (shut the 5G off) and I can see the dongle as a “client” on the router but still no connectivity to the app or online profile.

Cloud light just keeps blinking…. 🤦‍♂️

Here’s a question:

The dongle connect page references a BAXXXX- number.

My dongle SN is BJ40171898

Any chance it’s the wrong dongle or something isn’t right with the system setup?

I’m wondering if the BA/BJ SN’s are the issue? I still have local connect though and still can’t get connectivity to the log in app or online profile.

On another note, I did get some solar skids built this weekend and more panels installed!

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    522.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2547.jpeg
    IMG_2547.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 13
My router also shows it connected as a client so I’m out of ideas

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2577.png
    IMG_2577.png
    80.9 KB · Views: 6
Here’s a question:

Any chance it’s the wrong dongle or something isn’t right with the system setup?

I’m wondering if the BA/BJ SN’s are the issue? I still have local connect though and still can’t get connectivity to the log in app or online profile.

On another note, I did get some solar skids built this weekend and more panels installed!
Nope

Screenshot from 2024-04-09 09-48-27.png

Here’s a question:

First off, love the dog picture. However, the BJXXXXXX dongle is the latest version of the Wi-Fi module. If WPA2 is the security chosen for the router and it shows that the Wi-Fi dongle is connected on the router than a port may need to be open on the router. If you could let me know the router brand I can look to see what I can find.

First off, love the dog picture. However, the BJXXXXXX dongle is the latest version of the Wi-Fi module. If WPA2 is the security chosen for the router and it shows that the Wi-Fi dongle is connected on the router than a port may need to be open on the router. If you could let me know the router brand I can look to see what I can find.

Thanks Jared, Norman is my helper for all my projects lol. I had to euthanize my senior berner last week so things have been rough, trying to keep the puppy busy and engaged with stuff.

The router is an Archer, link is below. I have a good IT guru friend so if you come up with ideas, we can give them a go!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...-wi-fi-6-router-black/6442841.p?skuId=6442841

The Wifi software/connectivity for these EG4 units seems to be an Achilles heel, particularly around the Wifi connectivity, its unfortunate they are not alone doing this. It reminds me why network gear has rs-232 console ports that you often use for initial configuration, even though they have a nice gui's that work just fine once you get them talking. Perhaps it will improve.

Fun to look at all the creative ways people mount this stuff up. How deep are the posts? Straps may be interesting in the AZ sun, do you actually plan on moving these around much?

So the skids are mounted on casters. I put a few stabilizing posts and quite a few tie downs.

It’s a similar concept to other skids I made previously, these are a little more robust. The other skids were cheaper and did well even in 60+ mph wind gusts where I’m at so we’ll see how these do lol. I’ll report back lol

I plan to turn them a bit seasonally to try and increase PV output. The idea is to turn them for the winter and again in the spring but we’ll see how it goes.

The Wifi software/connectivity for these EG4 units seems to be an Achilles heel, particularly around the Wifi connectivity, its unfortunate they are not alone doing this. It reminds me why network gear has rs-232 console ports that you often use for initial configuration, even though they have a nice gui's that work just fine once you get them talking. Perhaps it will improve.

It’s honestly my only issue with the unit so far. It’s been a pain trying to get it setup properly and to be honest, it’s my first AIO unit with wifi so I’m also lacking experience in this category. I’m hoping we can get it sorted out here shortly, then the only thing to work on is the SOC issue and trying to dial it in a bit more

Thanks Jared, Norman is my helper for all my projects lol. I had to euthanize my senior berner last week so things have been rough, trying to keep the puppy busy and engaged with stuff.

The router is an Archer, link is below. I have a good IT guru friend so if you come up with ideas, we can give them a go!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-lin...-wi-fi-6-router-black/6442841.p?skuId=6442841

If you could DM, I want to get a replacement Wi-Fi dongle sent out.

Back