diy solar

diy solar

Grounding batteries

jbkrntrprz

I just ordered 3 lightning suppressors for my 3 PV strings and 1 for my Main breaker panel, all from Midnight Solar. I read where you should protect your batteries also buy why? My thinking is the main panel will be protected which goes into my inverters so they should be protected from that. The batteries are connected to the inverters which are protected from the main panel. Solar going into the inverters are protected as well. Don't see a need to buy another protection device but I'm sure someone out there knows why. Thanks

I dont know myself, but I would say it's about marginal cost.

An extra $100ish dollars to protect the most expensive component of your system (batteries). Also, if the initial SPD doesn't clamp down on that spiked voltage enough at the PV inlet, the SPD on the battery may still be able to help.

Again, I don't know how these things work. Way too many what if scenarios. Some buy due to frequent lightning threats, some buy for the mere remote chance, some buy for piece of mind, etc.

Just my own opinion, but I would only be concerned about protecting Lithium batteries that have a BMS. They are rather sensitive.

I wouldn't worry about Lead acids, they can be abused and the internal resistance makes them less of a target for surges.

Maybe in a grid tie scenario there's more risk? That should be where fuses step in...

Just my own opinion, but I would only be concerned about protecting Lithium batteries that have a BMS. They are rather sensitive.

I wouldn't worry about Lead acids, they can be abused and the internal resistance makes them less of a target for surges.

Maybe in a grid tie scenario there's more risk? That should be where fuses step in...
Yeah I've got the Lipos. Also have my inverters supplied from the main panel for backup, so I guess that is sort of grid tied. Probably a good idea to put one on the Batts. Don't think fuses are quick enough but I could be wrong, plus they wouldn't be hooked to ground. Thanks

I just ordered 3 lightning suppressors for my 3 PV strings and 1 for my Main breaker panel, all from Midnight Solar. I read where you should protect your batteries also buy why? My thinking is the main panel will be protected which goes into my inverters so they should be protected from that. The batteries are connected to the inverters which are protected from the main panel. Solar going into the inverters are protected as well. Don't see a need to buy another protection device but I'm sure someone out there knows why. Thanks
Correct
Surges come from outside the house. All wiring entering the house should have surge protection.
This protects everything in the house.

Correct
Surges come from outside the house. All wiring entering the house should have surge protection.
This protects everything in the house.
Knew you would come up with an answer. By correct do you mean I should also buy a suppressor for my battery or the one I have at the main breaker panel is good enough? Thanks

The protection devices you've ordered should cover your bases pretty well. The main panel, inverters, and solar inputs are all crucial points that need safeguarding, and it sounds like you've got them covered.

While some might suggest additional protection for batteries, your setup seems well-protected already. If everything is properly installed and maintained, you should be good to go.

Back