diy solar

diy solar

Growatt being vague about their PV input maximums

Marcello with 2 Ls

I recently built my off-grid setup with a Growatt 12k split phase off-grid inverter. The inverter is not perfect, has some annoying quirks, but what concerns me the most is no one seems to know how much power the 2 MPPT channels can handle before burning my house down.

Growatt support replied with:
"Each mppt can have 7kw of total pv input (60-245vdc).
https://us.growatt.com/upload/file/SPF_4000-12000_DVM-MPV_Datasheet_EN_202212.pdf"

But in reading the manual, it gets vaguer as it doesn't distinguish "PER INPUT" or anything. EG4 on the other hand, is very clear: MAXIMUM UTILIZED SOLAR POWER 8000W (4000W per MPPT)

So, can a cheap Growatt inverter really handle 14KW of solar??? Would love to know the actual answer, especially after seeing Gannam's post with photos of his burned up inverter. Maybe @Will Prowse will know ^_^. I'm worried about pushing 5.5kw into a single channel in order to free up my second input for a new string.

From Growatt's manual:
1715813904078.png

The maximum PV input power for both PV1 and PV2 is 7000W. In other words, PV1= max 3500W, PV2= max 3500W. What are the other issues you are having with the inverter?

Back