diy solar

diy solar

GROWATT SPF 5000 ES strange charge behavior

bai_shefa

Hello,
I am new to the forum and I recently build a PV system.
It has two inverters in parallel (single phase) SPF 5000 ES with firmware 040 05 701; 041 05 701. Batteries 4xSLA 12V / 24Ah (They are small only to support parallel operation).
I have the following issue. When there isn't enough power from PV modules, the batteries are not charging, not even from grid. I have specified Program 14 to be SNU. The problem is that, if it is a cloudy day, or the load power is more than PV production, the inverters draw 1.6 to 2A from the batteries the whole day without charging. They even drop below specified voltage in Program 21 48.0V. They start charging after sunset. I tried different settings and restarts, but it is still the same.
I only managed to make them charge the batteries the whole day using in Program 1 SOL. But then the panels are not used to supply load if they don't have enough power. And inverters switch internal relays many times a day. Also the charge is starting again below 48V, which is very strange. I don't want the batteries to go below 51.2V. Or said in another way I want them float charge, no cycling.
Is it normal behavior? May be I am missing something in configuration.
Here is my current config:
ProgramDescriptionSetting
01Output source prioritySUB
02Maximum charging current3A
03AC input voltage rangeUPS
04Power saving modeDIS
05Battery typeUSE
06Auto restart when overload occursDIS
07Auto restart when over temperature occursDIS
08Output voltage230V
09Output frequency50Hz
10Number of series batteries connected4
11Maximum utility charging current2
12Setting voltage point back to utility source51.2
13Setting voltage point back to battery mode54.0
14Charger source prioritySNU
15Alarm controlON
16Backlight controlON
17Beeps while primary source is interruptedOFF
18Overload bypassENA
19C.V. charging voltage56.4
20Floating charging voltage54.4
21Low DC cut-off voltage48.0
23AC output modePAL
28Address setting1
37Real time setting---Year
38Real time setting---Month
39Real time setting---Date
40Real time setting---Hour
41Real time setting---Minute
42Real time setting---Second
43Battery equalizationDIS
44Battery equalization voltage58.4
45Battery equalized time60
46Battery equalized timeout120
47Equalization interval30
48Equalization activated immediatelyOFF
49Utility charging time0000
50AC output time0000

I think your charging amps are set to low. Look at the spec sheet for the batteries and see what the max charging amp are

I tried today with 7A. It is still the same. It doesn't charge as I think it is supposed to. This two pictures are taken in the morning:
IMG_20221224_092025r.jpgIMG_20221224_092127r.jpg
And finally in the afternoon, the inverters totally drained the batteries :(
IMG_20221224_162551r.jpgAfter sunset they started charging. And Warning 04 is gone.

Last edited:
Unless you have something different most AIO's can not charge from utility unless operating in AC bypass mode. They can utilize both solar and utility at that time.

But I think inverters are on bypass on all 3 pictures. The line just on top of the inverter icon on the display says bypass. In the end if it is not some firmware problem, I think I will have to use external power supply (charger) or batteries will die very soon.

Unless you have something different most AIO's can not charge from utility unless operating in AC bypass mode. They can utilize both solar and utility at that time.
You are right. Basically they cannot charge from grid until PV energy is not totally gone. Until that happens they power themselves from batteries.
Finally I ended up constructing external power supply. With toroidal transformer and current limited voltage regulator, set to 54V. That solved my problem.

Back