diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos SQ vs SQE

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
I'm in the process of researching something different for our 20 year old well pump than the standard 3-wire 1HP that's in there now.

I found this interesting other's might as well. "Well", see what I did there? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I can show myself out.

Last edited:
Getting ready to to do something different for our 20 year old well pump.

I found this interesting other's might as well. "Well", see what I did there? :rolleyes::ROFLMAO: I can show myself out.

Love my Grundfos SQ. It was a drop in replacement for my old Franklin pump and has the softstart for easy inverter or generator starting.

Love my Grundfos SQ. It was a drop in replacement for my old Franklin pump and has the softstart for easy inverter or generator starting.
I've installed about a dozen SQFlexes and work on few dozen others, all off grid. If you can get over the sticker shock I think you can be pretty confident that you've got yourself a 25yr solution, if not much longer solution for your water pumping needs.

I've installed about a dozen SQFlexes and work on few dozen others, all off grid. If you can get over the sticker shock I think you can be pretty confident that you've got yourself a 25yr solution, if not much longer solution for your water pumping needs.
Yeah the price was high but I looked at it as it opens up more options. I didn’t need a 12kw inverter and/or generator to start the Grundfos. Actually saves money I’d say.

@OzSolar

are you a Grundfos dealer? if so I have a couple of grundfos pumps (smaller ones, not well pumps) that i picked up used here in japan for a possible heated floor setup for my cabin. If i got the serial numbers and sent them to you can you tell me the differences?

Edit: one of the biggest things I am interested in is what temps can they handle, as I will be pumping hot water possibly as high as 70 or 80 degrees Celsius.

Last edited:
Getting ready to to do something different for our 20 year old well pump.

Yup we use a CU301 with ours.
Constant pressure.

There is a sensor at the well T that monitors it.

Great Pumps..

Quick note The pressure is selectable at the pump. You can’t go beyond 70psi on the controller without getting a dealer to program it.

Yup we use a CU301 with ours.
Constant pressure.

There is a sensor at the well T that monitors it.

Great Pumps..

Quick note The pressure is selectable at the pump. You can’t go beyond 70psi on the controller without getting a dealer to program it.
I've installed a few of the SQE's for customers and was amazed by them.

On one we replaced a jet pump that every time it kicked on you'd swear it was going to blow the inverter up. And that inverter was an old school Trace SW4048!!

The inverter was so much happier on the SQE and the adjustable pressure was nice.

But it looks like the price has doubled in the 6 years since we last installed one!! I may just have to go with a SQ and do without the constant pressure. :cry:

@OzSolar

are you a Grundfos dealer? if so I have a couple of grundfos pumps (smaller ones, not well pumps) that i picked up used here in japan for a possible heated floor setup for my cabin. If i got the serial numbers and sent them to you can you tell me the differences?

Edit: one of the biggest things I am interested in is what temps can they handle, as I will be pumping hot water possibly as high as 70 or 80 degrees Celsius.
No, I'm not dealer, I'm an electrician that dabbles in off grid solar. I've also done some radiant in floor projects. Jack of all... master of none.

Most Grundfos circulators are rated for temps like what you mention. What does it look like? I could tell a lot by seeing it.

No, I'm not dealer, I'm an electrician that dabbles in off grid solar. I've also done some radiant in floor projects. Jack of all... master of none.

Most Grundfos circulators are rated for temps like what you mention. What does it look like? I could tell a lot by seeing it.
next week I will get photos of them name plates. two of them seem to have identical specs, only the pump house have different locations for outlets. anyways I will get photos need any data I can get. got them for about 15 USD apiece and was like why not, if they burn up you learned something at that price.

I've installed a few of the SQE's for customers and was amazed by them.

On one we replaced a jet pump that every time it kicked on you'd swear it was going to blow the inverter up. And that inverter was an old school Trace SW4048!!

The inverter was so much happier on the SQE and the adjustable pressure was nice.

But it looks like the price has doubled in the 6 years since we last installed one!! I may just have to go with a SQ and do without the constant pressure. :cry:
They are getting expensive for some reason..

They are getting expensive for some reason..
It doesn't help that most well pump manufacturers, Grundfos included, have thier distribution market locked down tight there's almost no chance at finding a better price.

Plus it not something you can do yourself easily, certainly at a high risk. As a well pump gets down much more than a 100' it become really difficult to pull it yourself so you're at the mercy of well guys that aren't that interested in doing anything different than thier grandpa did, probably using the same well service truck.

Back