diy solar

diy solar

hello retiring and building a new home soon

Thank you.
I designed the house using the prescriptive design standards in the IBC. it is a simple pitched roof but I made it asymmetrical to get more area for solar.
The second floor south roof measures 20' by 36'. I have a decent playground to work with.
I have a 20'x18' lower roof that is shaded in the morning hours for overflow if needed.
The house has a large dedicated equipment room in the basement from the start. That is my idea of a "man cave".

Thank you.
I designed the house using the prescriptive design standards in the IBC. it is a simple pitched roof but I made it asymmetrical to get more area for solar.
The second floor south roof measures 20' by 36'. I have a decent playground to work with.
I have a 20'x18' lower roof that is shaded in the morning hours for overflow if needed.
The house has a large dedicated equipment room in the basement from the start. That is my idea of a "man cave".

Welcome @skyking1

Building a new house ,, That is exciting !!

I retired from a 4 decade commercial construction career a few years back “Victoria BC”.

Where abouts in WA are ya?

Welcome @skyking1

Building a new house ,, That is exciting !!

I retired from a 4 decade commercial construction career a few years back “Victoria BC”.

Where abouts in WA are ya?
We are south of Tacoma right now, but the new place?
It is 20 minutes from the Black Ball ferry dock in Port Angeles!! We are in the heart of the rain shadow just south of 101 in Sequim.
How about them apples?
I can't wait to bring our 5th wheel across and just leave it there one summer. I think I could enjoy Vancouver Island for a summer. We'd store it and head back home with the truck to take a break now and then, and when the season was over pay the bucks to get the trailer home.

It is 20 minutes from the Black Ball ferry dock in Port Angeles!! We are in the heart of the rain shadow just south of 101 in Sequim.
How about them apples?
I can't wait to bring our 5th wheel across and just leave it there one summer. I think I could enjoy Vancouver Island for a summer. We'd store it and head back home with the truck to take a break now and then, and when the season was over pay the bucks to get the trailer home.
Nice place, the moss forest is one of my favorite places

don't forget to dig some geothermal before you slap your house down!

Nice place, the moss forest is one of my favorite places

don't forget to dig some geothermal before you slap your house down!
I'm all over that. I will start a thread about the house soon.
Intially I was going to have two Ground Source Heat Pumps (GSHP), one for air and the other a water-to-water.
Now I'm changing that to omit the water to water hydonic unit and using solar heat collection. I started a thread about that in the solar water heating section.

the more you put in the ground now, the less you'll regret it in a few years hahaha
That's what I do for a living, put things in the ground. My plan is to over-loop it. I will use PVC conduit sweeps and bring them up in the equipment room, and have (5) 600' home runs for 5 tons of capacity. Then I will put in 2 loops of storage, the same way.
I do not like fusing to a header outside the building. One issue with a loop and you are having a very bad day. With home runs, I can simply abandon a loop if it has an issue in the future.
These PVC runs will be extended out 10' from the house. That way I can backfill the basement and dig up the ends when I want to run the pipe in.
The same goes for our water service.
I will put a piece of 1.5" HDPE from a hand hole out by the power meter. I will push 1" pex through that.
Same hand hole will have data conduit runs to it. That way nobody needs to drill through my ICF concrete basement wall for anything.

damn sounds like an exciting build, strap a phone to your head and live stream it lol

I started a thread about that in the solar water heating section.
oh yea I read that thread already a few days ago lol

How about them apples?

Very Nice 👍 !!

In the Aviation Circles around here we call the “Olympic Mountain” rain shadow that starts @ Sequim ,,, “The Blue Hole”. It hits a part of Victoria called Oak Bay & also San Juan Island. Victoria has the lowest snow fall in Canada & there is lots to see. Aviation around this area is superb ,, beautiful.

We toyed with the idea of buying in @ Diamond Point “Hangar / House” years ago. But decided to go a different route ,,, International investment & governments & tax hunger ,,, sometimes it is best to go in a different direction.

Geothermal Heat Pump sounds like a great plan. The cost of energy will continue to rise in my opinion & best to use what you can to your advantage. Sequim is a beautiful area ,, Great Choice ,, Good for You !!

I have only been here since 68, but in that short timeframe, I kinda like the area 😁.

IMG_5052.jpeg

IMG_5057.jpeg

Last edited:
you probably figured out I have an interest in aviation as well :)
I have never been in an 8 or a 6, but I got wedged into the back seat of an RV4 and did half Cuban Eights until my middle ears got angry.
Commercial SES SEL MEL Instrument airplane instructor single and multi.
Not current but that can be fixed.

you probably figured out I have an interest in aviation as well :)
I have never been in an 8 or a 6, but I got wedged into the back seat of an RV4 and did half Cuban Eights until my middle ears got angry.

My “handle” comes from another DIYer hobby of camperizng vans for our travel. RV8R was supposed to stand for RV Renovator

Funny I have a “Van that I changed into an “RV” ,,, Then I built a “Vans” RV ,,, but it isn’t an 8 it is a 7. Regardless, they hit a sweet spot in GA Experiment class.

Sequim is a very beautiful town & area. I’m sure would will be very happy with your choice. Yes your avatar with the big 4 blades kinda gave away the aviator in ya 😁👍.

That is the business end of a Thunder Mustang. It was at a fly in at the home airport. They got it all right with those, even the sounds.

The civil engineer emailed the final stamped stormwater plan yesterday. I have to do a few edits of elevations on the print and draw in the new side sewer. Just a quick sketch and I will shoot that off to a Dropbox file I share with the lady in the city office.
Send her an email and then the ball is in their court again.
I have about 10 days of work, and then the big machine and the dump truck will be idle and not too far from the homestead. I'll ask the boss about using them and hopefully get a permit with the right timing.

Back