diy solar

diy solar

Help a noob with LiFePO4 charge controller settings

Primal1

I just installed 2 100Ah batteries and am seeing a ton of information about what my settings should be.

I work my system pretty hard while the sun is up and I'm trying to stay as close to a full battery as possible when the sun goes down.

Does this look right?

Epever Tracer CC with 400w of panels.
My controller settings:
Temp compensation: 0
Over volt disconect: 14.6v
Charge limit: 14.4v
Over volt reconnect: 14.4v
Equalize charging voltage: 14.3v
Boost charging: 13.8
Float charging: 13.45
Boost re connect charge: 13.4v
Low voltage reconnect: 12.8v
Under voltage reconnect: 12.8v
Under voltage warning: 12.0v
Low voltage disconnect: 11.6v
Discharge limit voltage: 11.0v
Equalize duration... 0 min
Boost duration... 120 min

Those are aggressive charge settings. How do they align with your BMS settings and how well the cells stay balanced at high SoC?

I have no idea about the balance. They're in parallel and started with the same SOC a week ago, aside from that I am clueless. The batteries are ecoworthy 100ah. The bms info in the manual is sparce.

Over voltage 14.5 to 14.6
Recovery. 13.9 to 14.2
Under voltage 9.2 to 9.5
Recovery 10.5 to 10.8

Thats all I know. I realize I'm woefully ignorant of the lifepro4 product.

Please set me straight if I am off on the settings, I cobbled them together from reading other posts.

the lifepro4 product
Do you have a like to this battery? I thought there was a battery with this name but i cannot find it.

Regarding your settings they look a little high but reasonable. If you can charge to 14.4V without a BMS disconnect (a cell over volt) then you're good.

With batteries in parallel, when on cell trips a BMS the remaining battery gets all the charge and load current. So if charging, the remaining battery voltage will rise while the disconnected on settles or the balancer reduces the offending cell voltage to the point where it reconnects.

I have found that upon reconnecting, the lower voltage battery will get a surge of current from the higher voltage battery and in many/most cases cause the same cell to over volt again fairly quickly. I've had this happen 37 times in 1 afternoon without any apparent damage but i'm sure the BMS took some abuse as well as the one cell and maybe elsewhere.

So the moral of the story is to only charge up to just before any cells over volt. Similarly, if you can charge slower (and still fast enough to fully charge in a day!) you will give the balancers more time balance as well as the cells will have more time to absorb evenly.

I only charge to 13.8V but i have plenty of battery and don't need to be as aggressive as to maximize battery capacity.
You need to find where YOUR batteries start to misbehave and setup your charging to work within their capabilities.

Do you have a like to this battery? I thought there was a battery with this name but i cannot find it.

Regarding your settings they look a little high but reasonable. If you can charge to 14.4V without a BMS disconnect (a cell over volt) then you're good.

With batteries in parallel, when on cell trips a BMS the remaining battery gets all the charge and load current. So if charging, the remaining battery voltage will rise while the disconnected on settles or the balancer reduces the offending cell voltage to the point where it reconnects.

I have found that upon reconnecting, the lower voltage battery will get a surge of current from the higher voltage battery and in many/most cases cause the same cell to over volt again fairly quickly. I've had this happen 37 times in 1 afternoon without any apparent damage but i'm sure the BMS took some abuse as well as the one cell and maybe elsewhere.

So the moral of the story is to only charge up to just before any cells over volt. Similarly, if you can charge slower (and still fast enough to fully charge in a day!) you will give the balancers more time balance as well as the cells will have more time to absorb evenly.

I only charge to 13.8V but i have plenty of battery and don't need to be as aggressive as to maximize battery capacity.
You need to find where YOUR batteries start to misbehave and setup your charging to work within their capabilities.
This is the battery.. https://www.eco-worthy.com/products/lifepo4-12v-100ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery
I meant I was clueless about LiFePO4 in general.

I lowered the over volt to 14.5 and the charge limit to 14.3. The MT50 throws parameter errors at 14.4 and 14.2.so I can't go lower. I am assuming that was the aggressive issue. If not or if anything else needs tweaking I'm all ears. I've read so much stuff it's all mush in my brain.

Last edited:
Back