diy solar

diy solar

Help me Install 3 EG4 Mini Split Solar Heat Pumps

What pressure is used for pressure testing? 200? 400? A quick google showed 600psi.
That is 600 psi inside the lines, not 14 psi on the outside. Pretty drastic difference.

But, if you are confident in your flares and seals a vacuum test is likely good enough
on the EG4 install video from Signature Solar, they said pressure tested it to 500 psi with the nitrogen.

Hey you've been busy - that all looks great.

So as I understand it, both Scott and yourself envision these units for "maximum flexibility" of running off solar inverter (panels/battery), grid, or direct dedicated solar??

So as I understand it, both Scott and yourself envision these units for "maximum flexibility" of running off solar inverter (panels/battery), grid, or direct dedicated solar??
Correct.

I will run the two 24k units solar only. They'll be grid connected with a bypass to the inverter as well. But my inverter is a mere 4000w ... And it has other priorities. But could b there if I need heat or cool in a grid down situation.

The 12k WILL also run solar thru the the day, have a grid connection, but will be on the inverter full time. It will be in my bed room.

Correct.

I will run the two 24k units solar only. They'll be grid connected with a bypass to the inverter as well. But my inverter is a mere 4000w ... And it has other priorities. But could b there if I need heat or cool in a grid down situation.

The 12k WILL also run solar thru the the day, have a grid connection, but will be on the inverter full time. It will be in my bed room.
Quite an achievement to do it all yourself!

How much do they draw from solar or grid if you run 24k unit off solar (in amps please).

Thanks

Well it's held vacuum pressure for 12 hours now at - 27 +/-

So I'm guessing a nitrogen leak test is not necessary?

My only concern, I've seen some videos (not many) and read a few random comments how nitrogen is needed to remove extra moisture for 410a? ?

Quite an achievement to do it all yourself!

How much do they draw from solar or grid if you run 24k unit off solar (in amps please).

Thanks
Don't know yet. Will take me a week or two more to connect AC power and several more weeks b4 I can install the solar panels.

Busy week at work this week.

But I'll keep you posted.

read a few random comments how nitrogen is needed to remove extra moisture for 410a?
Nitrogen is flowed during brazing to stop oxidization of the copper, which turns into black flakes that can block orifices.
It can also be used as a cheap non toxic and dry throw away pressure testing gas, but not necessary if you vacuum the lines good.

What pressure is used for pressure testing? 200? 400? A quick google showed 600psi.
That is 600 psi inside the lines, not 14 psi on the outside. Pretty drastic difference.

But, if you are confident in your flares and seals a vacuum test is likely good enough
I think this. I read HVAC guys said nitrogen pressure will find leaks that vac test will not.

I know other guys mentioned they mostly had prior automotive AC experience as do I. I have NEVER heard of anyone doing a nitrogen pressure test on Auto AC, only vac test FWIW...

My 24K is running off my main battery/panel system. I have the panels to run it direct now, just need to get them hooked up. I also wired in a transfer switch that I had laying around so I can run off grid if needed. So far, I have had the capacity to just run off my main solar system. Get that house down to 65-66 degrees during the day when I'm working and then turn it off or down as the sun hides behind the horizon. If I try to run my well pump and sprinkler booster, water heaters, clothes dryer, etc and the wife decides to cook, something will have to give.....that is where I hope the direct panels will come into play.

Get that house down to 65-66 degrees during the day when I'm working and then turn it off or down as the sun hides behind the horizon.
Yes. It was 95 Freaking degrees here in KS yesterday. It takes awhile still for the house temp to creep up at night from 65. Then you tickle it at 2AM or whatever with a couple Kwh not a big deal, no external heat load then.

Well it's held vacuum pressure for 12 hours now at - 27 +/-

So I'm guessing a nitrogen leak test is not necessary?

My only concern, I've seen some videos (not many) and read a few random comments how nitrogen is needed to remove extra moisture for 410a? ?
The vacuum pulled everything out. Including any moisture.
You are good to go.

I think this. I read HVAC guys said nitrogen pressure will find leaks that vac test will not.

I know other guys mentioned they mostly had prior automotive AC experience as do I. I have NEVER heard of anyone doing a nitrogen pressure test on Auto AC, only vac test FWIW...
I've got the same experience. I spent 10 years and worked up to master tech before getting out of that crap industry.

I had heard it recommended to do nitrogen pressure tests, but never done it. I thing automotive AC, which mostly seals with o-rings in grooves, has to seal better due to vibrations. I've never seen a flare fitting on automotive AC.

I can't say the nitrogen test is needed, in my opinion, it's just how tolerant you are for the chance of a leak/confident in your flares.

Good. As the EPA tightens their thumbscrews wasn't hard to google and find reference to Nitrogen pressure test even in cars :unsure:

Since R410a is already on phase-out makes me kind of wish these were R32 units like Deye is sending to Australia/ Solaracdc.com.au

I guess if it never leaks doesn't matter?

Back