diy solar

diy solar

Help me understand my Net Meter reading

PoPoShoo

sooo....last week, Thur. Feb 2nd, Noon, we had our Net Meter Installed. I did not turn on our Grid tied PV system until Noon the next day, Feb. 3rd.
At Noon of Feb. 3rd, our Net meter showed ---> 28 kw h consumption from utility

Flash Fwd to today, Feb. 10th, Noon:
14 (consumed from our utility): 207 kw h ... I suppose you could minus the previous 28 kw h so that would equal 179
24 (pv generated back to utility): 198 kw h

So....I guess this is where we're getting confused... in this amount of time, we've produced 198 kw h of PV energy and have consumed 179 kw hr of Utility energy? 19 kw h in the black and have produced more energy then we've consumed?
Below is the instructions from our Utility

Attachments

• Net Meter jpg.jpg
    Net Meter jpg.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 6
The numbers will vary every hour. For example after the sun goes down your consumption will not be offset by any solar and when the sun comes up any solar will go to cover your loads and the difference is what your meter will read as net consumption or net production. As explained in the document those two registers accumulate totals for Net production and Net consumption. That is all your utility meter can see. The only time production for a particular period will match your actual production is if you have no consumption. Similarly consumption will follow the same logic. The easiest time to see that consumption number without solar is in the evening.
That is the concept of Net Metering explained in the document. Some utilities do a calculation every fifteen minutes for billing purposes but those two registers are cumulative totals. Unless your installation has been set up for consumption monitoring there is no way to easily reconcile the numbers. There are devices that can read the signals from your meter and accumulate them but that only works if your utility allows them. They are called HAN devices. They do not cost very much and save you the time going to your meter and doing the math. If your utility allows that kind of device, here is one device that costs less than $50.

Last edited:
Back