diy solar

diy solar

Help with understanding apparent cap on Growatt charging power

binding_energy

This is almost an identical question to that posed by user Hartswood in Aug 2022 which had no replies.

I have a Growatt SPH600 inverter with 7.5kWp worth of panels and two Growatt 5kWh batteries connected in parallel.

The battery specs say they can each be charged at 3kW
The inverter specs say..
Under heading of 'Output (AC)' 'Rated AC output power' = 6kW
Under heading of 'Stand alone (AC power)' 'Rated AC output power' = 3kW *1
Under heading of 'BAT data (DC)' 'Max charging and discharging power'' = 3kW *2

(The asterisks seem to refer to footnotes but there aren't any footnotes)

I've noticed that once the battery charge reaches about 3kW the inverter dumps the rest of the inverter output to the grid.
Since it can produce 6kW and I have two batteries in parallel, each of which is capable of being charged at 3kW, I should be able to send 6kW to the batteries.
Why doesn't the inverter carry on charging my batteries until a max charge current of 6kW is reached if the power is not being used elsewhere?

Am I stuck with a system that can output 6kW but only 3kW of which can go into the batteries with the rest being 'wasted' unless I put on a high load in the house to use it?

After looking at the datasheet, it seems like the actual AC-DC inverter (bidirectional) is limited to 3kw. This means that it can discharge or charge the batteries at a maximum of 3kw.
The 6kw rating seems to be for AC pass-through only.

After looking at the datasheet, it seems like the actual AC-DC inverter (bidirectional) is limited to 3kw. This means that it can discharge or charge the batteries at a maximum of 3kw.
The 6kw rating seems to be for AC pass-through only.
Thank you, what is 'pass through'? Is that how much it can actually supply ie charging power at 3kW plus load/grid at whatever is left?

@sunshine_eggo
I'm sorry sunshine_eggo but I'm afraid I haven't a clue what you're saying :unsure:. At first I thought you were giving me some numbered instructions but then I realised that's just your signature - but I don't understand that either!

Datasheet for your inverter.

@meetyg explained the limitation, but it might help to point out the specific ratings on the datasheet to help you understand it.

Thank you, what is 'pass through'? Is that how much it can actually supply ie charging power at 3kW plus load/grid at whatever is left?
Pass-through means when loads are powered from the grid, not the battery.
Depending on your inverter settings, it can be in this mode for various reasons.

Back