diy solar

diy solar

Higher amp or higher volts ???

Urge38

Hi There

which would make more sense for wires, brakers, isolation/cut-off switches etc etc for a solar array.

I have the option off configuring either 2s 3p or 3s 2p in a solar panel configuration.

basic info
6 x 435W panel's
40voc (each)
14a (each)

150v 45a Tristar MPPT

the tristar solar sizes sizers 2s 3p
other solar sizers say 3s 2p

3S2P is higher voltage so the array will start to produce power earlier in the morning and later into the evening. Realistically the difference will be minimal.
Secondarily, it simplifies the wiring with 2 in parallel vs. 3.

3S2P is higher voltage so the array will start to produce power earlier in the morning and later into the evening. Realistically the difference will be minimal.
Secondarily, it simplifies the wiring with 2 in parallel vs. 3.

that's actually a good point so far as I am concerned, as I live in the uk, in cloudy days, I want the volts to reach charging voltage asap

As well as @BentleyJ's points, 3S2P will result in less power loss on dc cables due to lower current and higher voltage.

Assume you have checked the temp co-efficients of the panels - if -0.35%/degreeC, then panels will be at 46V at -15C min likely UK temp, due to 40degrees*0.35% voltage increase. That is still within the 150V max of the controller, so looks OK to me. So unless the panel's co-efficient is much higher you should be OK, but best to check.

Back