diy solar

diy solar

highest efficiency inverter

buddhafragt

I am looking for a 48VDC to 120VAC inverter, 3000-5000W with high efficiency, is there any recommendation?
95% or better it should be, the Victron Venus can do that, but it's a bit too expensive for me....

Samlex EVO 4048 with RC Remote
Outback VFXR 3648 with Mate 3S
Schneider Conext SW 4048 with SCP remote

These are pretty much around the same price - you may pay more for the outback.

I have used all 3 in various projects. If you need really good field repairability and high reliability - you really cant beat the outback.
The Samlex is a good, tough inverter - Ive never had one fail.
The Conext is the most "fragile" of the bunch, but if you have a stationary site that is easily accessible, it may be a solid option.

All 3 companies also have a decent warrenty and RMA process.

Keep in mind, almost all of these require their matching remote control panels to be fully configured.

Hope that helps,

-J

I am looking for a 48VDC to 120VAC inverter, 3000-5000W with high efficiency, is there any recommendation?
95% or better it should be, the Victron Venus can do that, but it's a bit too expensive for me....
I think the Victron Multiplus is in that 95% range as well, with super low idle consumption also.

Check out Morningstar Suresine 2500W 18W idle with A/C output on. MS is my best SCC with lowest idle consumption.

There is no such thing as a "Victron Venus." There is a Phoenix.

"efficiency" is misleading. It is a MAXIMUM, and it only exists at one point on the power curve - usually about 30% of continuous rating.

100W on a 300W inverter is likely to be at nearly the maximum efficiency.
100W on a 3000W inverter is going to be decent.
100W on a 5000W inverter is going to be much lower than you think it should be..

The above is pretty typical for all inverters.

As others have mentioned, the other side of the coin is idle draw. If you're going cheap, you may pay the price with high idle load.

A typical Voltronics-type 48V/3000W inverter has an idle burn of 40-50W continuous even if no loads are used.

A typical tier 1 inverter (Victron, outback, midnite, magnum, schneider, etc. - all the expensive ones) are going to have a very low idle draw - probably around 0.6% of rated capacity. You pay for that.

So, which is better?

A "95% efficient" inverter that burns 40W continuously
A "90% efficient" inverter that burns 11W continuously

Efficiency numbers are not consistent either. Some manufacturers factor idle consumption, some don't.

So, asking for "the most efficient" inverter may not get you the answer you want.

There is no such thing as a "Victron Venus." There is a Phoenix.

"efficiency" is misleading. It is a MAXIMUM, and it only exists at one point on the power curve - usually about 30% of continuous rating.

100W on a 300W inverter is likely to be at nearly the maximum efficiency.
100W on a 3000W inverter is going to be decent.
100W on a 5000W inverter is going to be much lower than you think it should be..

The above is pretty typical for all inverters.

As others have mentioned, the other side of the coin is idle draw. If you're going cheap, you may pay the price with high idle load.

A typical Voltronics-type 48V/3000W inverter has an idle burn of 40-50W continuous even if no loads are used.

A typical tier 1 inverter (Victron, outback, midnite, magnum, schneider, etc. - all the expensive ones) are going to have a very low idle draw - probably around 0.6% of rated capacity. You pay for that.

So, which is better?

A "95% efficient" inverter that burns 40W continuously
A "90% efficient" inverter that burns 11W continuously

Efficiency numbers are not consistent either. Some manufacturers factor idle consumption, some don't.

So, asking for "the most efficient" inverter may not get you the answer you want.
Sorry, of course Phoenix, not Venus...

thanks for all of the answers,
but pity all the the recommended inverters are more expensive as the Victron Phoenix or a Multiplus.
Isnt there a cheaper inverter as 1000 USD?

Definitely not under $1000 for that efficiency. Victron MultiPlus II 48v 3kva has 95% efficiency, and is $1388.

The 2kva model is $1056. But its under your power requirements.

thanks for all of the answers,
but pity all the the recommended inverters are more expensive as the Victron Phoenix or a Multiplus.
Isnt there a cheaper inverter as 1000 USD?

You either pay less for cheap components that have high idle draw, or you pay more for expensive components that don't have high idle draw.

Noet that when considering idle draw, you will discover the cheaper inverters may cost a few hundred more in unusable battery capacity/PV that exist purely to feed the idle load.

Last edited:
Now if you can change gears and do a 24v model, then Giandel has been confirmed to have super low idle consumption, with "decent" efficiency, for $3-400 on Amazon.

One other downside of the Morningstar is that you can't connect two of them to get a split phase output.
I’ve mentioned this and the need for higher output inverters to sales and tech support. They are probably are doing fine in the markets they target. Their tech support and build quality are top notch.

I’ve mentioned this and the need for higher output inverters to sales and tech support. They are probably are doing fine in the markets they target. Their tech support and build quality are top notch.
I agree! I'm a Morningstar fan and have used their MPPT charge controllers for years. I did communicate with them several months ago about being able to do split phase and they indicated they were looking to offer it in the future, but it was likely years out and therefore off my list for consideration.

Hello all,
Does anyone have experience with the Epever IPower-Plus (3000W)?
The specs seem quite good:
efficiency max. 93.5%
efficiency rated 89.5%
Zero Load 20W
wight 7.3kg
Stability120V -7+3%

Zero load is 7W more as the Victron Multiplus, but the price is only 30% compare to the Victron.

Back