diy solar

diy solar

How to handle freight delivery?

jfharper

I got 20 used panels coming today via freight from SanTan. Was wondering if I should unpack and inspect, or what to write down if discover damage, or what if the driver can't wait, or is SanTan so good just sign and inspect later and SanTan will fix it if any issues. I've read here SanTan takes care of people but how was delivery handled...do you sign without inspecting or write "delivery refused by inspector" but do you still sign or not. Wondering how to handle it.

In my area, these days, the driver will not wait. And they don't even want a signature. If there is obvious damage, request the driver to make note before he leaves.
Otherwise, take pictures as you unwrap.
My claims have been to shipping co. First, they usually handle things pretty well.
Good luck!!

Claims are best handled if noted on the signed delivery slip.

If you want the most "protection" from damaged panels, tell the driver your refusing delivery if they don't let you unstack (or at least unwrap) and inspect all the panels.
Then offer them some $$ to help you unstack and inspect them.
But, I've read too many stories here from other vendors and damaged panels.

My freight shipment from SanTan was just left in my driveway without requiring a signature or even ringing my doorbell. I don't know how I didnt hear the truck, but they were just magically there.

What we do quite often, is quickly visually inspect the pallet and take pictures, then sign for the delivery and write "TBI", which means "To Be Inspected". Pretty standard procedure at companies that get deliveries like this. Then - as others noted, carefully take pictures of the unwrapping (before/during/after) on each unit. Make sure the phone/camera does a time/date stamp and make sure its correct (the time and date) beforehand. If there is an issue, call the shipping company immediately and supply pictures.

My freight shipment from SanTan was just left in my driveway without requiring a signature or even ringing my doorbell. I don't know how I didnt hear the truck, but they were just magically there.
We expect an update on what condition the panels were in. :)

I got 20 used panels coming today via freight from SanTan. Was wondering if I should unpack and inspect, or what to write down if discover damage, or what if the driver can't wait, or is SanTan so good just sign and inspect later and SanTan will fix it if any issues. I've read here SanTan takes care of people but how was delivery handled...do you sign without inspecting or write "delivery refused by inspector" but do you still sign or not. Wondering how to handle it.
Honestly, try not to fret about it too much.. Mine came in perfect shape earlier this week, and all the warnings both Signature Solar & SanTan blasted me with (regarding shipping damage & a laundry list of responsibilities when receiving) had me worried for nothing.

Really wasn't super pleased with SanTan's mixed messages about how you should still receive a damaged shipment (otherwise they may charge a restocking fee if it comes back to them, damage/refund claims will be denied if damage is not noted on driver's receipt, etc).

Last edited:
Got them, all good. Delivery guy had his head on straight, was cool with my son and I unpacking and inspecting...only took like ten minutes tops. All in good shape. Thanks for the help, good suggestions.

My most recent load of 40 panels from Santan looked perfect coming off the truck but when opened the bottom panel was very broken. I sent them a picture and an explanation, they credited a refund to me that afternoon. No hassles, excellent people to do business with.

My most recent load of 40 panels from Santan looked perfect coming off the truck but when opened the bottom panel was very broken. I sent them a picture and an explanation, they credited a refund to me that afternoon. No hassles, excellent people to do business with.
I could see this happening. There were a few nails sticking up out of my pallet that could've been bad news, but nothing got damaged. The pallet mine came on was kind of janky, although it was reasonably well wrapped/protected overall.

Back